Skip to main content

#WhenIBecameFree - The Heartland Project



#WhenIBecameFree  - The Heartland Project.

I am very excited about this as things are falling into place! If you don't know what my project is about see the following!

Help fund a project where the end result will be a book and collection of videos sharing the inspirational stories of survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault from the rural Heartland.

The goal of this project is to seek out everyday people who have done great things after experiencing a battle for survival in their own homes in rural communities. Sometimes those great things may be on a large scale and other times in ways often not noticed.

Throughout the project, book and videos I will share my own stories of abuse and life after finding strength to leave - all of which has brought me to the path I am now on.

I plan to dive into this project just as the cold winds of a looming winter begin. It is symbolic of the fear of the unknown many victims have as they begin their road to surviving.  The goal is to complete my project as a new spring brings color back to the landscape.

Awareness campaigns against abuse tend to focus on how to be safe and get out, however rarely do they tell the story of life after a victim has left and the path they take from there. For victims and survivors in small rural communties sometimes that path is often riddled with obstacles not found in a more urban setting. Starting over where everyone knows your name and think that they know your story can be an isolation all on its own. Those who do make it often give back to others in ways never dreamed of...those stories need to be told.

Furthermore, those who find the inner strength to carry forward are heroes who need to be recognized - and with that recognition their accomplishments should be shared - Help me create a new path and campaign of awareness ...

As I search out these amazing human beings I will share with you  the climate of resources there are in the communities I visit.  You may be surprised at just how little there is for some struggling to be free in certain rural areas of our country.

I have been wanting to do this for a very long time but being that I am one of those survivors on the path to graciously living I have not had the means to see this project through. I've been too focused on surviving paycheck to paycheck..

But, for some reason, I feel the time is now - It may be because I am heading into a new phase of surviving and looking for my own answers to "what will he do when he gets out?" - My ex and abuser is due to be released from prison next year and after serving 8 years for crimes against me and our children.

To do this properly I will need gas for my battered car (fitting, huh?) - Help with on the road expenses and start up fund money for self publishing and getting those videos I take along the way edited properly and into a final compilation video.

I am not sure just what I will learn along the way - this project may in fact take a turn towards something I have not planned on. Afterall it will focus on a very real human experience and there are no plans that can be made for that - life has a way of taking you down paths that you didn't know existed and I am ready to go with that flow....

I will check in on the status of this project with posts to my blog once it begins-
Thankfully Chewed Up and Spat Back Out

For those that help fund this project you will receive an exclusive look at video clips as they are filmed, and updates from the road, when I am on it. I will hit the road in between working my regular job - Living in rural Wisconsin many of these road trips can be taken in a day or two. My sons are old enough now that I can take to the road without too much worry of leaving them back at home for a couple of days.

I have always believed that Everything Happens for a Reason - and with that I feel this is one of the reasons for everything I have experienced in my life.

Want to help me?

All who support this endeavor will be acknowledged on my blog, social media and also credited in the book and final video.

My background:
For the last 8 years I have been a reporter for the The Messenger of Juneau County. My articles cover a range of topics from city government, crime, to human interest.

I am a survivor of child sexual assault, sexual assault and domestic violence. Over the years I have volunteered as a domestic violence and sexual assault advocate for victims.

In 2009 I started a local organization, Lend a Hand, to help those in Juneau County experiencing a housing/financial crisis. That organization grew into a larger one now known as Circle of Hope. We provide crisis intervention when funds are available which may include providing emergency shelter for those experiencing homelessness.

In 1999 and while living in Illinois I started a parent advocacy organization to help educate parents on their rights in regard to their child with disabilities/special needs. During that time I volunteered to be an special education advocate on behalf of students and their families.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th