Skip to main content

Fighting Back Against Cyberbullies: Speaking Out Anyway - A Guest Post By Stephanie March





I spend enough time on Twitter to know that certain types of tweets will attract harassment and bullying. Sadly, most of it is directed at women participating in trending hashtags meant to bring people together on issues like domestic violence or mental health. I’m always moved by people willing to speak out and bring awareness to topics shrouded in silence. Unfortunately, I’m also always angered by people wanting to silence and shame those brave enough to share.

When someone has the courage to speak out about a traumatic topic like abortion, rape, or domestic violence it should be encouraged and applauded. And it is to a large extent. However, it immediately opens the door for cruelty to enter. I cringe when I see this happen and can only hope that the person being attacked is strong enough to handle what is being thrown at them. With suicides occurring at an alarming rate among teenagers, it frightens me to think how many were because of cyberbullying and how many might occur in the future as a result of it.

Occasionally, cyberbullies can escalate into cyberstalkers. One study provided by Norwich University Professor Peter R. Stephenson suggests that cyberstalkers are often vindictive and fall into several personality categories described as: Power Assertive, Power Reassurance, Anger Retaliatory, and Anger Excitation. The study expands on these personalities but they all carry two things in common- they are angry and searching for power and control.

It is important to keep in mind when you encounter a cyberbully that engaging them in any way is what they want. It is encouragement for them to continue. It is also important to remember that cyberstalking is very real and very dangerous. Immediately block the offender and report them to the social network you encounter them on.

So what can you do to fight back? When you see it happening on Twitter, for example, you can report the offender even if they are not attacking you. Send a tweet to the person being attacked to counteract the negativity. Show your support by retweeting them and cheering them on. If you see bullying that involves threats against a person’s safety you can report those to the police. And if you are the one under attack, it is completely up to you to have a public profile or lock it down and make it private.

Be aware of any information you share and accept from others. Always remember you do not truly know the person on the other end of the computer screen. Educate yourself about the prevalence of cybercrime, cyberstalking, and data breaches and how you can better protect yourself from becoming a victim.

What you have to say is valid, important, and needed. Recognize the bullies for who they are and do what is best for you. Protect yourself and ask friends, family, teachers, and advocates for support when you need it. Call a hotline like the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline if you are feeling depressed or suicidal. Talk it out and don’t let the bullies win.

Your voice is valued and survivors like me find encouragement in your bravery and willingness to speak out about controversial topics. We need to create a society that no longer sees them as controversial and there’s only one way to do that- through awareness and standing united against those that wish to shut us up.







Stephanie March is a writer, survivor, and advocate that has been featured on sites such as Tiny Buddha and The Huffington Post. You can find her on Twitter or read more at her blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes