Skip to main content

Time to fly - a Modern Blues Story in Real Time

My children are getting prepared to leave me. Both of my sons and at the same time. They are 18 and 23.  They have been my world from the moment I knew they were growing within me. From the time I was a very young girl all I dreamed about was having children. A longing for a sense of unconditional love. I would get lost in my thoughts on how every day I would tell my child I how much I loved them. How perfect they were to me, even their flaws.  They would never wonder if they were a mistake. Yes, I had it all planned out ...the one thing I didn't plan on was them leaving the nest I dreamed about providing.

Needless to say as my boys make their plans to have some great adventures I sit with mixed emotions.  We've been through so much together. Survived so much, and they are such great human beings I will miss their company as much as I miss their presence.

Originally they were to leave last month but logistics on getting things together in a short period of time on top of the holidays drawing near gave me an additional couple of months with them...for this I am thankful.

I am secure in the knowledge that they will be fine. Both of them have common sense and know right from wrong. Neither of them has ever been in trouble - I've been graced by not having the worries so many parents of teens stay up late at night, having while they bite their nails.

Kyle, my 18 yr old, is off for a career in music and heading to Memphis and the deep south where the Blues called home - yes, you read it right...he's a musician. He needs to go. He needs to be away from rural Wisconsin and be somewhere his music will help him take flight. I support him 100 percent. He is that talented. I know it will just be a matter of time before the world realizes what so many in our little rural community already know - his musical ability is a gift that needs to be heard.  Blues oozes from every ounce of that boy.

Lately he's had to make some tough choices - does he continue to stay close to home playing cover songs with other musicians and not always the genre he was born to play? Does he forget about music and try to get a regular 9 to 5? Does he go to college and wander aimlessly in attempting what else to do with his life - or, does he go for the gusto? He picked aiming high and reaching for his dreams.  he has courage.


Justin, my 23 yr old, is going with to be there for Kyle.  Kyle needs family close by him and until things take off, he will need help with the bills. Justin needs to be somewhere he can live to his full potential as well. Being a member of the LGBT community in small rural town USA is not an easy task. He needs to fly.

How lucky am I as a mother that my sons are best friends?  Especially when you consider all that they did grow up experiencing. It would have been so easy, and quite frankly...expected..that they take a wrong turn in life before even hitting adulthood. But, they didn't. Thank you spirit guides for watching out over all of us through this time of transition.

We broke the cycle. It wasn't easy, but we did it.

It will be hard to kiss them farewell. I will worry. Kyle is such a sweet kid, as is Justin. I worry about someone trying to take advantage of Kyle's gifts - it has already happened a couple of times. Then he had me playing Devil's advocate and taking the brunt of confrontation ..something he doesn't like but knows is a necessity.  I will have to keep the faith that his courage will keep him safe from vultures and coattail riders. Over the last few months he has gained the confidence needed to see it all through.

As you can probably tell I am writing this all out to help reassure myself that all will be fine. My boys will be okay and so will I.  We are entering new chapters in our lives.  I must admit it is scary.  I am hoping that in a couple of years I will look back on this post and chuckle while reading it.."what was I so nervous about?"

I've written about Kyle's music before so I will not detail all it out again -

I will share my son's latest videos - ones I burst with pride when I watch. You see for the last couple of years he has been known as a great and natural Blues guitarist. However I knew something else about the child - he could sing and write lyrics. When he recently broke free from some restraints he found his voice and his words.  Enjoy the following videos..

But, before I leave you - please world...be kind to my children..they've lived through enough sorrow, pain, and tears - it's their turn for joy.


Kyle doing what he does best - Blues guitar -





Kyle finding his voice and words -an original - If you know our story of surviving domestic violence and then the aftermath of rebuilding a life and surviving poverty..then you will know how deeply personal and emotional the following song is to not only him, but me as well.  I taped this the night after he wrote it - his emotions were raw as he played it for me.




Lydia - this song is simply beautiful - and is available on his website and iTUNEs

This song is also available on his website and iTUNES - it was literally written on the spot in a recording studio - a one take wonder with Simply JP singing. It was right after recording this song a call from the great Ruby Wilson  - Queen of Beale St. - came in...it was where she invited Kyle to play at a benefit in Memphis at BB Kings. That benefit was in July - she died just a week and half later. My son was one of the last guitarists to play on stage with the legend.





This is from earlier this year when Kyle played at BB Kings in Memphis with Miss Ruby Wilson singing.  Quite an accomplishment for an 18 yr old young man




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes