Skip to main content

Autoimmune Hell

It was just six years ago I was non-stop movement. From the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. My house was spotless, all except the boys' rooms. This is no longer the case. Now, waking up, means I must limp out of bed stiff and sore. If I have to be somewhere by 8 then I better wake up by 5:30 because it will take that long before my joints release from freezing up overnight while I rested.  I hate that.

My mind still goes non-stop. Always active and in need to move forward. If only my body could keep up.

Last week I was reminded of my father. He too struggled with autoimmune hell. His also came on in his 40s. He was a big and strong man. A man who loved his work. Loved being in a union and active in protecting the rights of his co-workers. He took pride in everything he did - then his father died.

I can remember my father standing outside of the funeral home in Evanston, IL. He was looking down at his extremely large hands in amazement. They were turning red and swelling right before his eyes.  We would soon learn that the death of his father was the emotional trigger setting off a battle within his body.The battle of his own immune system attacking his joints and organs - Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA).

As his condition progressed he was no longer able to perform the intense physical demands of his job at the factory. He was a lead machinist. He would need to go on disability and he hated it. The first time I witnessed my father break down in tears was when he spoke about feeling like a failure - worried about what people thought of him. A larger than life man walking around out in public during the day and not at work. He worried that they would think he was a loser - because, his autoimmune hell was hidden from their eyes.

Last week I had those same concerns about myself. I worried about what people thought of me. I was taking part in a community response to a fire that left 16 households displaced. I was at a drop off location every day but I was unable to do the physical tasks of lifting, sort, and carrying the donations. The grunt work. I too worried about what people thought of me. I was an autoimmune mess and that didn't help those worries.

I've been sitting here tonight thinking about all of that - finding that I was starting to feel sorry for myself. A slippery slope I do not want to dive down. There are people far worse off than me and I should be grateful for all I can do. I have a job I am still able to meet the demands of - I can take care of myself without assistance but still, I miss the old me. The me that could take on the
world, not only mentally but also physically. Yes,  I used to be non-stop - unstoppable.

Not anymore. In addition to the RA I also have Sjogrens, and Raynauds I've written about this all before. They're all autoimmune and they intertwine with one another to ensure that just about any season I am cussing out my own system. A stubborn and opinionated German with conditions where my own body is fighting itself...is not a pretty picture.  I seriously don't have time nor the patience for this foolishness.

There is so much ignorance in our society about autoimmune disorders. RA is not typical arthritis. The swelling of the joints is not from friction but rather the fluid building up between them - it feels like they are being pulled apart and there's not a damn thing you can do. The joints turn blazing red and heat can be felt from them.  Top that off with a lot of us having allergies, certain anti-inflammatory medicines are a no-no. The only OTC I can take is Tylenol. I could go to a doctor but all they want to do is drug a person up where functioning is pretty much out of the question.  Did you know that they place many sufferers on chemo drugs? Yeah, not happening - I lost my spleen many years ago and without that layer of protection the thought of chemo drugs send shivers down my spine.

Sjogrens leaves a person exhausted. Sure, the main features are my body does not produce enough saliva and tears, but that also means severe sinus problems and for me, the parotid gland by my ear gets inflamed - the one true obvious indicator something is not right within me. Lovely, eh? I was at the store today and my hair must have shifted, revealing it, because I saw someone I knew and the first thing out of their mouth was, "Oh no, what happened?" Not exactly an esteem building greeting.

I will pat myself on the back for being pretty good at pushing forward. I have an incredibly high tolerance for pain. That's the German in me...not much will stop me in my tracks except my own damn autoimmune system and believe me when I tell you it is a fight before I cave in.

As I write this I am wondering if I sound like a whiny baby. I sure hope not. I am a purger. I try to purge the negative thoughts and get them out of my system so that they do not add to the battle within me. It is called strategy.  Journaling and writing is healing for me and I haven't journaled for myself in a while - I am long over due for some purging.

If you know someone with an autoimmune disorder - listen to them. Try to see past the healthy image before your eyes and hear what they say. Sometimes they will just give clues into their world like they're tried. When they say that it means they are hitting a brick wall, literally. If they say they are flaring but look well, they are telling you there's WWIII happening within their body while they are talking. Bombs of pain are exploding everywhere..you just cannot see them. And, if you get frustrated in trying to understand it all, imagine how they feel living with it  -

Be well.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th