Skip to main content

What happened at the prison..

The connections we make as we travel through life have more meaning to who we become than, I think, we realize. I am not speaking of our friends and family - I mean those strangers who are not beholden to us because of life or daily ties. The random person who shares a granule of sand in our hourglass of life. It is the lady who smiles at you in the elevator and comments on your eyes. The substitute teacher who doesn't know the drama in your life when she/he mentions how impressive the paper you turned in was....  The customer who complimented you on a job well done. Those people.

They are the connections that plant the seeds of hope in your head without you ever realizing that one day in the future, during a dark period, they will grow and help provide you the strength you need to plow forward...and all because a part of you is aware you're worthy of better days.

That all came to me last week, exactly one week ago and while I was sitting in a chair facing almost two dozen men, inside a medium security correctional facility, the New Lisbon Correctional Facility. 

It was there and when I was speaking about those connections and seeds of hope when I looked up at the eyes looking back at me and I noticed something, a rather large and muscular African American man was staring intently at me while I spoke. You could see it in his body language and in his face that life for him has been one hurdle after another - each one being tripped over...just barely falling short of being cleared. That man whose actions have most likely hurt loved ones and possibly strangers, he released a tear that was leaving a streak down his cheek.

In that moment a connection was made and a seed of hope was planted for both us - I think for him he may have reached back in his memory and remembered one of those connections - and for me, it told me I am on the right path to honor my own experiences, the days of struggle and pain.

Ten years ago I would have been repulsed at the thought that I'd be sitting in a prison speaking to a domestic violence group of felons, all of which were working on discovering why they were abusers. I was too raw with emotion. Ten years ago every moment of my day was a struggle to get through, I was living well below the poverty level, raising to young men on my own, and dealing with the nightmare of the last attack I had suffered just 6 months prior in August of 2007. The last place, a decade ago, I wanted to be was in the chair I was sitting in just 7 days ago.

About a month or so ago I was invited to come in and speak to the men in the domestic violence groups. A couple of years ago I had spoken at the prison during the National Victims of Violent Crime Awareness Week.  That first time was a bit terrifying for me, inside I fought a flee response to get past some of my own obstacles. It went well and I walked away feeling empowered so when I was asked again, I eagerly said yes.

Walking in last week I was calm. I didn't prepare anything because I wanted to get a feel for what they were working on in their groups, however, this time I knew I wanted to go about it differently than last time when I spoke from a podium - so, I asked for a chair. I wanted this to be a conversation and not just them listening to a speaker because there was nothing else better to do that day.

When I got to the room the men were already seated and waiting. I took my seat and introduced myself. The very first thing I did was ask them to raise their hands if they had a good childhood - not one hand went up.  I told them I had expected that as I knew that we had more in common as people than them being abusers and me being a victim. From there I started to tell my story as a survivor of child sexual assault, domestic violence, being sexually assaulted as an adult, and growing up around the poisonous effects of alcoholism and co-dependency. I spoke about my marriage, his active drinking and the years he attempted sobriety,  how we went from middle class to poverty basically overnight...and, how the children lived those young years not realizing their father was an alcoholic until they woke up one day and he had fallen off the wagon.

The room filled with laughter and knowing call outs to one another when I relayed how I became very adept at creating some unique meals with ramen noodles.

At one point they seemed shocked when I said I don't and had never carried hate in my heart towards my ex-husband and that I never actively spoke badly about him to the children. I explained that through the years and via common people in our lives, I did know he thinks otherwise. "I never had to say anything to the boys about what happened, they were there - they witnessed it all." That is when I also explained about the night I found the boys hiding under the kitchen table, fearful and holding on to one another- that was the night I knew I had to changes things or else, like me, their childhoods would be too painful, at times, to remember. The nightmare and the cycles had to change.

All of that led to the discussion about connections and seeds of hope. I truly did not even realize what I was saying as I said it...it all just came out. I explained that somehow, back then during the storm, I realized I was worthy of better tomorrows and it was all because of the seeds of hope that had been planted in my head by those random strangers - people who were not beholden to me in any shape or form.  The key to healing is realizing that you are worthy of joy.

We talked about quite a bit of other things, including the boys. I told them all about Kyle's music and the trek he has made. How once he picked up that guitar and Blues started oozing out that I knew he was destined to perform. I told them about Justin and all the strength he has in him, how he has conquered life while walking through it with mild Cerebral Palsy and how strong he was when he came out and told his truth, all while living in a rural conservative county. I explained how proud I was that they never caused me nights of worry a lot of parents face and that despite their young ages they took a risk and moved to Memphis for Kyle's music. They went together to support one another.

 I commented on how I truly believe we have all a God-given gift and when we focus and honor that gift we start to value ourselves and healing will come easier.

The men were very interested in the boys, their relationship with their father, and if I have had any contact with him. I answered all their questions truthfully, even though some of those I questions I imagine they were hoping for different answers.

Before I left, I reminded them of all the things we have in common and why it is so important to always remember that childhood we had. "We owe it to ourselves and that insecure child we were, to nurture ourselves and remember that child was and still is worthy of so much more - that is how the cycle gets broken."

An hour and half after I said my first word and after all the questions had been answered, my little speaking engagement was over. I thanked them for listening to me and I took my leave. As I got into my car to leave I realized I was feeling proud. Proud of what I had just done and proud to know that all that stuff...those once living nightmares for me had turned a corner and were now helping to pave a path of hope for others. Life made sense, my purpose was recognized, connections were made.

I am glad I said yes to going to prison.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th