Skip to main content

Brutal Honesty - #WhenIBecameFree

If I truly want to fly free then I must face what I tell everyone else to do, be honest with yourself and find value and a voice for your story. As survivors we owe it to those searching out for hope. We need to be easily found so that they know not to give up. So with that, I want them to know that no matter where you are in your healing, it is extremely important that their own well being stays at the top of their list for tender loving care.  When it doesn't, the slippery slope will be there to escalate your fall. Should this happen, know that within you are those skills you learned- that confidence you found, still exists. Mourn the frustration you're feeling as it is the only way to rid the cloudiness disappointment creates You will survive and you will be better for it.

I know this as I survived 2018. It was the year of my slippery slope. Life was getting out of control. I knew it was impacting my health. I started off the year fearful. By the end of February I had fallen three times on to my left hip. The inflammation in my joints was beyond painful. The tumor in my parotid gland was growing. It had gotten to the point that I couldn't turn my head to the right. When I left the office in Elroy I would arrive home in Mauston,  exhausted. I fed the dogs and crawled in my bed. That was my routine. The paper had been gutted to the point that I was the only full-time employee and the only one, at that point,  that could do every aspect of the paper; ads, graphic arts, articles, editing, pagination, social media/website and then be the face present at business functions.  Oh, and then there were times I also delivered bundles to the newsstands.

Yes, I was exhausted and making far less than anyone would imagine, especially considering 12 plus years with a company. It was not enough to catch up after all those years of raising two boys on $20 an article and $5 a photo. The hole I was trying to dig myself out of only got larger the harder I tried.

Not having any health insurance drove the barrel over the edge. I was left with one option, I needed to resign. I need to be able to on insurance without going further into debt. Also, I felt there were things going on behind the scenes which would have taken the paper in a direction that Bill Smith- the founder, if he knew, would have rolled over in his grave. When Dianna had cancer and was forced out of her position, losing the remainder of her payments from the buyout, I promised her I would do my best to keep that paper going for the subscribers but when inevitably  I would move, that I would go out with a bang. It took a little longer than I planned and all because I was stuck on a hamster wheel, unable to physically move.  I crashed.

Feeling like I had failed, I started having arguments with myself. I was constantly belittling my own abilities, my skills, and my life. The security I fought tooth and nail to slowly build was being whittled away from me. I couldn't believe that after a life filled with being a survivor of many things, would end in the direction I was heading. I felt like a fraud. So many in my community viewed me as a strong confident presence, an influencer but little did they know life's hurdles were encompassing me and I was trapped.

When I was home, I sat in the house - alone - the walls screaming out at me the horrific memories, all those incidents of domestic violence clearing the path for my life, a life on my own. PTSD -  I remembered the boys sitting under the kitchen table, clutching one another in terror as they shielded themselves from the domestic bombing of marital war.  I'd sit in my bedroom and have flashbacks of the brutal emotional attack that happened right before their eyes. A crime that landed their father in prison for sexually, physically, and emotionally abusing me ...inches from the boys. The man, who at that time, I had been married to for over 16 years.

Who does the main advocate in a community reach out to? People, when they see you as a rock, don't always notice when your shield is being picked away. 

I wanted my parents. I wanted to be able to call them, hear their voice, I just wanted to be a little girl again who was afraid of the dark and they would let me in their bed, protected. My parents died years ago.

I had friends all around me, and to no fault of their's, I felt completely alone. There were days I could remember being 14 years old and having that feeling of doom, life was not for me. Rather than giving into it all, somehow a glimmer of the fighter in me stayed alive. I can only give credit to God for that, he never stopped believing in the life he created.

So much happened in such a small time frame that it hurts to even remember it all.  By the end of the year I had spent a few months living off my life and a dream, #WhenIBecameFree. That tumor of mine was removed during a five and a half hour surgery. Doctors had me on a lot of medication, especially the once suspected fibromyalgia became obvious. Gabapentin became my enemy. It ate away at my working memory. I walked life in a fog.

It was then I allowed something to happen that would have never of occurred in the past decade of helping the homeless and survivors. My boundaries came crashing down. I opened my home and life to one - providing them a safe place as they were in crisis -my safe place, my hone.

The exclamation to the end of the year was selling my fixer-upper at a price less than I needed and moving 10 hours away to be close to my sons...one month out from surgery. I arrived at my destination on December 23rd. I pulled in to town barely able to walk, in so much pain - feeling gutted. I resembled a  battle-worn veteran limping home.

The new year started off with some twists, disappointments, and turns but they needed to happen as they were the slaps of reality I needed. I took myself off the mind numbing drugs and allowed clarity to settle back in the space fog had been taking up residence.

 The main lesson for me in all of this is something I worked so hard and very long to learn even though for a while, forgot- if I am not at the top of my list for tender loving care, I will fall - that is not a maybe, it will happen. HOWEVER, falling does not damage the wings I have stitched together painstakingly slow - it just knocks the wind out of me. I need to recognize and honor all I have survived, grieve what stills needs to be grieved and as Scarlet O'Hara would say, always remember, "tomorrow is another day."

As survivors of child sexual assault, child abuse, and domestic violence, we owe it to the ones who unfortunately will come after us, a sign of hope. We have to tell our stories and give to them something many of us never had, a network of support. It is our job. We can't sugar coat it and pretend healing is easy because we are superwomen, we are human and as such, flawed. Mistakes will happen, bad decisions will be made but as long as we remember that healing is a life long experience,  we will learn to be patient while holding on to glimmers of hope.

Brutal Honesty is healing. We protected our secrets far too long with avoidance and lies. No more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes