Skip to main content

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!!!!

Where has it gone?

Have you noticed the decline? How more and more people are acting like they are entitled to whatever they want? That they don't have to treat another human being with common respect?

I guess I am losing patience with people. That attitude some have that they are entitled to demand upon others or treat others like crap, for whatever the reason- be it their title, their status, their religion, their political affiliation....the behavior is rampant.

Politicians and candidates who have no problem demanding your financial support without saying what in the hell they are going to do to honor it. Or the ones that think just because they popped on the scene and declared themselves a members of the same party you need now to show your undying support?!?!?! I'm really getting to the point where I've just about had it with organized political parties - I can be a liberal even if I don't pay my dues.

And the there are the some people of faith who believe so devoutly that they need to shove it down everyone else's throats, and when we don't swallow and convert to their ways...judgement of character are laid upon us...uh, isn't that why the Middle East has been in wars since the dawn of time..or at least since we've kept track on a calendar?

And then there are the people in day to day life...you know what I am talking about. For the most I will smile, say "Hi" to the stranger on the street...hold doors open for those behind me....all the things I was brought up to do, but I also admit that I have little to no tolerance for those who for no apparent reason are rude, inconsiderate and act like freaking Prima Donnas.

Maybe that is something I have to work on, but that "entitled" type behavior so rubs me the wrong way and as soon as that happens....well ...let's just say ..."Let the games begin!"

Except tonight I noticed something and it was while I was telling off one of those Prima Donnas...there are a select few that I have allowed to cross that boundary - men in my life. For some reason I've allowed them extra room to make those errors all while I am sitting there getting hurt in the process.

I know I don't do it as much as I once did, but I do still allow it to happen when it shouldn't...this I do know. It's hell having to learn and set your boundaries as an adult when you weren't taught how to as a child. Back then I was taught that whatever you do, don't upset the male in the house - doesn't matter what they were doing...just don't upset them.

Over the years I knew that was not exactly the most healthy behavior, and I have learned to set boundaries - but I guess old habits die hard.

Awareness is key I suppose. I am aware, first step. I don't allow others to cross the boundaries...second step...third step is keeping true to me and making sure that those I love also do not cross those boundaries. I have a feeling that will be one of the hardest lessons to learn - might be a life long process, but at least it is a process....


In the mean time...Prima Donnas beware...............



Comments

Anonymous said…
This bothers my dh so much too . He can't stand the new human rights museum they are building here because it will not include certain groups such as the Pa;estinian etc. but also the whole issue of human rights has changed from we need to respect each other to I am deserving of respect.
When we care for another , have emapthy , cpmapssion , acceptance of who someone is that is true respect and then we in turn will hopefully receive respect but not to have have the expectation that I amdeserving of because of course each and every person is deserving
human rights in North america seems to be more about self serving getting what I want and feel I deserve kind of thing .
great post ! Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget

Daniel A. Woolverton The picture above is of a West Point graduate (Class of 1997) who went on to have a military career that most men at one time were little boys dreaming about as they played with their G.I. Joe's and Army Men. A sweet face, I am sure as a mother, his own mother worried about his safety every waking moment while he was enlisted.   This is him - that same once good looking - waiting to to take on the world, young man. Life has taken a toll, that is obvious - at first glance you might think that the horrors his eyes seen as a former JAG officer eventually led him down the path of self medication and drug abuse. His soul appears to be lost behind those eyes - Truth is, after reading and taking what I have learned since receiving an email today to his story- He never had a soul - at least one with a conscience to begin with.  The headline in the email asking to me to consider telling this story on this blog read: NEWS:  Disbarred US Arm