Skip to main content

Half a decade later

Today is a significant day in my life. Today is five years to the day...date and day of the week...that my life changed forever - Five years ago today, August 13, 2007, my estranged husband - the man I was married to and with my entire adult life, decided for the last time to exert physical and emotional abuse against me and chose to do by sexually and physically assaulting me in front of my children.


It is a day that for the past five years has played over and over in mind. Every minute  - every second of it. I can still recall the morning I had that day...the way I rushed around to get some work done to the minute he walked into the house...my room...and the dread I felt in the pit of my stomach that something really bad was about to happen. From that point my children and their safety became my priority - we needed to get out and through it all...alive.

My life ...I....changed.

Looking back over the last five years can at times feel numbing.

Combating rumors while people whispered what they thought they knew -
Struggling to raise two boys alone in a world where so many judge before they ask -
A road to healing that was walked while also trying to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table, and clothing on our backs.

I learned how the justice systems works and where there is room for so many improvements.
I learned how to apply and navigate a system that is there to help a mom like me keep my children fed.
I've juggled two jobs at once while attending court hearings and therapy sessions...
I've spent countless hours wondering why all of this happened during one of the worst economic recessions in modern history - why did my slap of reality have be now?

I've learned a lot -

I've learned a lot about society -
Perseverance -
Healing
Forgiving
Compassion
Patience
and
Happiness

I am not going to place on my face a false smile and say some Chicken Soup for the Soul sentiment - it's not that easy and not every day has been a positive example of wholeness.

Breaking free from abuse is not a cake walk - doing so while bills pile up and you have less than ever before to work with...is not easy -

There's no sugar coating it. It's been rough on me and especially hard on my children.

We grieve for the life we once had - lived through - as we worked through the pain of healing

Somehow through it all we've gone from victims, to survivors and to now living without that fear looming over our heads that today could be our last.

Have all the tears and struggle been worth it?

YES!

I understand myself better now than I have ever before -
My heart has grown rather than been shut down and carted away -
I don't judge others like perhaps I once did -
I realize there's so much beyond surface I do not and will not ever know.

I've grown and continue to grow...

So yes - it's been worth it - half a decade later..............







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th