Skip to main content

Your Story - take it back!


I was fixing lunch today for my boys and I started thinking about the little things in my childhood that happened and set me up to becoming a victim more times in life than I would like to share.

Perhaps prompting those thoughts was a phone call I received yesterday evening from a male family member. Who is not important - what the communication was about, is.

He was attempting to insert himself into my life and in a roundabout ---controlling way...dictate to me my path as a survivor of domestic abuse and how I should "feel" in regard to my abuser.

Evidently what prompted that call was a letter he received from my now ex husband complaining about the lack of access he has to his children from time being spent in prison for a crime committed against me and them.

As I explained to this family member I've never kept the boys from their father - not once. If they choose to communicate, then they may do so - it must be their decision I will not force the issue one way or another. The boys know this and know I will support whatever choice they make - he is after all their father and I know a child will love their parent no matter what the past may be. I respect that.

Again, as in previous calls like this, the person went on to tell me (slurred speech) how I am not being forgiving and should make the boys contact him "because it's not easy sitting in prison. He's found God ya know? And, he is not a mass murderer!!"

Bam - punch to stomach happened! I sat there listening to twisted reasoning and attempted to explain my side of the story to someone who wanted control of my story - old habits die hard.

So this morning, as I was preparing lunch for the boys...something hit me...  You see after I got off the phone last night.....more like after they hung up on me because I was being unreasonable in their mind....I cried my eyes out...like a baby.  It even dawned on me that the conversation took place one week prior to the 6th anniversary of that final attack which led to my ex being in prison. All sorts of feelings ...emotions...surfaced...but they were not anger they were more me beating myself up feeling inadequate and doubts of knowing what was right for me.

It hit me this morning that those emotions were exactly the same ones I felt as a child when what people consider are now my strengths were focused on as "flaws"

For instance as a child I was told I was always "too damn sensitive" - now that quality is seen as a strength in me for being compassionate and the ability to connect and empathize with others. As a child I was told  "You're just like your father and too damn stubborn!" Now I am seen as my father's daughter and driven! As a child I was "too damn smart for my own good!" Now I am seen as an intelligent woman! As a child I was told I talked too much and asked to many questions. As an adult woman I am seen as curious, creative and outspoken! ...etc..the list can go on and on..

Once I realized that and how my own perception of myself has changed from what I was taught to believe as a child it erased those negatives feelings that surfaced - those childhood impulses to believe what others said or implied on who I was as a person and that knee-jerk response wanting acceptance from anyone...including people who didn't have my best interest in mind and who were trying to control me...the very same lessons that set me up in becoming a victim too many times to mention here.  Knowing this..realizing it for what it was meant I was back on the road of directing my own story!

Taking control of your story means YOU define who you are ...not others. Don't let others insert themselves, compose and direct your story - sometimes they are doing so because they don't know how to write their own. And for all of you who may think there are too many dark chapters in the novel of YOU....those dark chapters were written by others - it's time for you to start the happy ending and hopefully there are many chapters of life, love, and peace before the last word is written ...it's in your hands as long as you believe in yourself!

Time is now! Take back your control...take back your story! I am!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget

Daniel A. Woolverton The picture above is of a West Point graduate (Class of 1997) who went on to have a military career that most men at one time were little boys dreaming about as they played with their G.I. Joe's and Army Men. A sweet face, I am sure as a mother, his own mother worried about his safety every waking moment while he was enlisted.   This is him - that same once good looking - waiting to to take on the world, young man. Life has taken a toll, that is obvious - at first glance you might think that the horrors his eyes seen as a former JAG officer eventually led him down the path of self medication and drug abuse. His soul appears to be lost behind those eyes - Truth is, after reading and taking what I have learned since receiving an email today to his story- He never had a soul - at least one with a conscience to begin with.  The headline in the email asking to me to consider telling this story on this blog read: NEWS:  Disbarred US Arm