Skip to main content

First Love Yourself - #WhenIBecameFree

Stay away from relationships. Yes, stay far away from them while you're in throws of healing with open wounds that are raw. I say that all the time, over and over, to some of the young women I know. I don't say it to sound wise or smart and I don't say it because I am bitter towards love - I say it because I speak from experience. I had my broken heart crushed into sand because I jumped too soon.


Long Story Short - 
I thought I had my life together. Sure, I was still struggling but I was working and raising my kids, on my own. My divorce had been final for 6 months - my ex was sitting in prison, serving out his sentence,  and I was actively healing from the wounds of domestic violence and sexual assault- every day I awoke with a positive attitude, or so I thought.

It was the summer of 2008 when I met David and he swept me off my feet. Tall, distinguished, and handsome. He had manager's position within a Wisconsin county government department, almost 2 hours from where I live.  He owned his own rural home and his kids were grown. He was the vision of security.

David made me laugh - a lot. Needless to say, I fell quick and it appeared he did too. There was even talk about the kids and I moving to his rural home.

There was one thing that nagged David about me....and that was my insecurities. I'd often make myself the butt of my own jokes, self-deprecating humor.  I would do it without even realizing I was insulting my own reflection.  He never laughed at those jokes.

He saw it as self-destruction. And he was right.

David broke it off ....a long story on how it all played out, but the end result was those insecurities were open wounds I still carried and the hope I saw in the future had just been shattered, spraying fine grade shards within me, within those wounds.

Sounds deep, eh? It was. I call that time the Winter of Hell. It all happened just a few weeks before the country went into a deep recession and the economy's bottom fell out. Feel bad for my best friend, Steve - he had to listen to me whine for months.

I wasn't ready for a relationship..David knew it, even if he caught on a little late. He told me if I couldn't trust and love myself, he wondered how I could trust and love someone else.

Now, had it been another man, one like my ex-husband, they wouldn't have cared that I was the butt of my own jokes or that I was still insecure. Just the mere fact of it all would have raised them above me, and the power that would have been handed to them would have controlled my self-doubts, spiraling them out of control. History, more than likely, would have repeated itself and some form of domestic violence would have been back in my life.

So while I experienced just about every emotion known to man when it comes to that time period in my life, in a way I am now grateful for David entering it when he did.  Being a single mom during that recession was tough, going through it with a broken heart made it tougher, but in the long run it forced me to look at myself even deeper than I ever did before. I could either feel sorry for myself or heal myself. There were no other options.  I needed to work on those insecurities and yes, I know firsthand how hard it is to do that - I am still learning to trust myself, my gut, but I can honestly say I do trust it now more times now than naught.

After the split we kept in contact.  He kept his physical distance but he also kept an eye on things. Friends will remember that purple van I had and drove into the ground. That was a gift from David, almost a year and a half after we went our separate ways. He caught wind I was without a car and one day offered me that van. So even though things didn't turn out like I would have wanted back then, I cannot say I regret David entering my life. Everything Happens for a Reason.


Moral of the Story 
If you're in the process of healing and still filled with self-doubts, work on you - not a romantic relationship.  You deserve the intense focus that is needed for healing.  Your children deserve a positive example.  Your future relationship will have a better chance at being long lasting and filled with love. That is the only way the cycles of the past can be broken.  If I can make it through the Winter of Hell - broken hearted and financially devastated, you can make it too.

If you don't allow the time for healing, then expect Murphy's Law...what can go wrong, will.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th