Skip to main content

I believe the women #MeToo

I was around 13 years old when an older man thrusted his tongue down my throat.  He had me cornered/pinned in a chair. He was drunk and I was terrified. It happened so fast I didn't know what to do.  Afterwards, the days...the weeks ...months following that incident, I gagged every time I thought about it, I wanted to vomit that physical memory out of my system but instead I crawled deeper into the shell of me -a journey that started at 5 years old, the first time, as a child, I was targeted by a predator and sexually assaulted.

I soothed myself with an internal debate how that tongue incident wasn't as bad as some of the other assaults I had endured over my young years. When it happened I had been babysitting a young girl and her brother. Their mother's boyfriend came home earlier than expected. That boyfriend was my attacker. The kids were in their beds when he barged in the apartment. I was watching t.v. in the living room. It was just a matter of minutes when I found myself trying to wiggle out of that chair and flee. Flee, I did. I went to a neighbor's house, a friend of our family's. I didn't say a word about what had just happened. I learned early on how to keep ownership of someone else's shame. I do remember when I did get a ride home, on the radio was the song I Love a Rainy Night by Eddie Rabbitt. As soon as the song came on the radio I could picture Eddie Rabbitt singing it...the man who just attacked me had a beard like the singer and looked like him. To this day, three plus decades later, if I hear that song I have to fight the urge to vomit...vomit that memory out of my system.

With headlines being what they are lately with Alabama's Roy Moore, that incident- terrible memory- has resurfaced. My memory is of a crime that was committed. A crime that greatly affected the young girl I was and the aftermath would have a negative impact on the young woman I became - it taught me how to be silent - it taught me I didn't matter. It, along with all those other incidents of sexual assault, whittled away at my confidence and ate any self esteem I may have had to the point I was no longer important to myself. The perfect recipe for a perfect storm that I said 'I Do' to. My building blocks.

Can I prove this happened? In a court of law would there be enough evidence to prove that he and others used their power over a child for twisted pleasure? No. All there appears to be is my word, even though you could dissect my path, my life,  and see all the symptoms of low self esteem and PTSD from the crimes against a little girl.

When I lived as a victim I thought I was alone, as a survivor I know there are others. Our life stories are important and MUST be told so we can guide those living as a victim to the path of being a survivor.

I do live with a guilt. It is one I am not sure I will ever be able to rid myself of and I know there are others like me who carry knowing that silence has probably allowed for our attackers to lengthen their trophy list. I stayed silent for too long and I wonder about how life would be different if I told when all of these things happened to me. Society was different back then - this was not talked about, and even though I didn't know better, I still wonder.

Having said that, I do have a worry about the surge of exposure sexual assault is getting. I worry that once the political rollercoaster ride our country is trapped on is finally over, the strides being made will be forgotten and society will return to our short attention spans, and the reality show we live will move on to a different topic.   Look how quickly we've forgotten about Cosby's accusers...Clinton's....and Trump's.

Sexual assault is a felony. Child sexual assault is a felony. One of the hardest felony crimes to prove when time has passed and evidence is washed away.  Sex was the tool for an out of control twisted mind to feel power over another. The abuser uses it as a branding iron into their victim's psyche. The violence from the crime lingers - the pain can still be felt decades later..there's no amount of attempts of numbing the pain that will work. The only thing that does work is when that victim reclaims their life from the hold others have on it and the best way to get there is fresh air. Opening those memory vaults and letting out why someone else held the combination for so long, too long.

So, keep telling your truths -

Even as the political rollercoaster comes to an end...keep telling your truths.

I believe the women.

#MeToo





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th