Skip to main content

I'd like to buy the world a Coke.............

Like most little girls, when I was a little girl I loved my Barbie-like dolls. The world of pretend was a way for me to get away from it all. My creative imagination would run free with storylines and scenarios for my dolls to act out. But, I also liked to give them the names of friends in my real life. The red haired doll was Stephanie, the black haired doll was Micki and so on. I did however feel bad that I couldn't give one of my dolls the name of my best friend, Patsy, because at the time I didn't have any that looked like her, she was black and all I had was white dolls.

This was back in the day when I grew up in that university town of Evanston, IL..home of Northwestern University. Back in the progressive mid 70's, a time when differences were starting to be celebrated. The popular commercial on television was that Coca-Cola commercial where on top of a hill a United Nations crowd of young people sang how they wanted to buy the world a coke.

So as a little girl back then I thought nothing of asking my mother to buy me a doll that looked like my best friend, Patsy - a black doll that she and I could play with in the land of make- believe.

"No Eva, white girls play with white dolls and black girls play with black dolls," said my mother.

I can remember telling her that such a thing made no sense to me because I was white and I played with all kinds of girls...black, Chinese, Spanish - to which she said "it's just the way it is."

Now mind you, Mom could be a little odd at times -Like when I wanted that Easy Bake Oven...she got me one but removed the cords so it wouldn't work, "it's a fire hazard" she told me.

Well, needless to say I didn't argue with my mother about the black doll, rather I found a way around the situation, I took a brown marker and changed one of my dolls so it would look like Patsy, but I also made sure I hid it from my mother - I hated the spankings she gave.

For some reason today I was reminded of that time...being that child and not understanding why as a child I was getting so many mixed messages, but deep down in my own heart I knew what the right answer was - except I couldn't share it with my mother as she was the one in power and with control.

Now mom wasn't a racist so to speak - she had many friends of differing cultures, but at the same time she still held on to the beliefs that were taught to her - giving up some, but not all. Progress, just slow progress.
I guess I am thinking about all of this because inevitably with this recall effort to remove Scott Southworth, his supporters are stuck on the argument of "abstinence" from a pro-life viewpoint rather than attempting to see how others may view such a narrow point of view. Especially those who according to laws in most states would never be able to marry, the homosexual community.

While I myself am not gay, I have known many people over the years who are gay. So just like with Patsy, even though I wasn't black, I couldn't understand the reasoning behind my mothers statement.

Back in the days when I was advocating on behalf of students with disabilities, I had a couple of students I was helping who were not only learning disabled, but also gay. The hell they faced in the school system from their peers, it's no wonder why one of them discussed killing themselves. They were never understood - never allowed to be the person they were born.

Those were also the days when through the organization I belonged to I met a couple in North Carolina. They had contacted our coalition because of the hell they were dealing with at their school district in regard to their severely disabled child that was adopted. Only one of the members of that couple had rights in regard to the child, because they were a gay couple and dealt with so much discrimination for who they were, that first they had to conquer those barriers before they could advocate for the child they loved....the child that was so severely disabled was on machines and tubes coming out of his body that could not see nor hear. Their story broke my heart - especially knowing that this wasn't the only disabled child the one partner had adopted and cared for. Together their love was healing to these children that no one else wanted, but society wanted to turn a blind eye to their entire situation....their family...their experience.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have lived the life I have led and have been exposed to so many different experiences. My heart and understanding is larger for it. I've learned that it's when we celebrate our differences rather than silencing them...shunning them...pretending they do not exist...that miracles do happen - doors open up and progress is made.

But, still to this day, I hear responses like my mothers...a knee jerk reaction to something she was taught before she herself learned better...........




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes