Skip to main content

Made it through missing daddy...

Yes, I made it through one of my annual tough weeks.  Every year since 1996 the days between May 4th through May 13th are exceptionally hard. Contained in that time is the anniversary of my father's death..his funeral...his birthday, and then of course Mother's Day.

When I lived in Illinois, and it was this time of year, I spent many hours out at All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines. Daddy is buried there, just beneath my grandparents plots, and right next to a lilac bush.
I would always sneak (ok, swipe) a few clippings off of the bush and place them in a vase on our table - it always seemed to be comforting for me to do that.

Since living here in Wisconsin I haven't had that yearly tradition -- and every year, it never fails, when that week hits I find myself wishing I could repeat those steps I once found comfort in -

So needless to say I still miss my father. I wonder if that will ever pass?

I can say that I find myself dealing with it all a bit better than I use to. Coping skills maybe..who knows - I do know that every year I find myself writing about daddy - that man was one of a kind.

President of his local UAW ..back in the days before unions took a hit - I paid attention to everything he did - to me -he was amazing - plus that man was funnier than hell. He would talk about going to union negotiations with the company's attorneys down in their plush suites in Chicago - he always told his fellow union workers to go into that meeting exactly how they are at work - no need to clean up - wear those grubby ...dirty..oily uniforms....sit in those leather chairs - spread the grime, and remind them who they are talking to...the people who are the blood, sweat and tears of that company.  Make them uncomfortable facing the facts. Don't pretend to be someone you're not - that is one lesson my father taught me that I have never forgotten. That lesson and the one...always have fun facing your fears...when you laugh, you're living.

Yup, daddy was a pretty amazing man - giving...loving...strong...but also so very human - flawed.

People now hear the term "union"  and they think it's just a way to work and slack off at the same time. But if they had my father's example they would have seen that a union was needed. The plant where he was a lead machinist, Mark Controls in Evanston, was in a building that existed since the turn of the century - and being as old as it was it contained many secrets - ones that cause a higher than average rate of cancer among the men that worked there - out breaks of blood poisoning from the illegal dumping of chemicals - plus other secrets that affected the workers.

Daddy was a dedicated worker, and leader - he worked overtime ...double time...whatever it took to get the job done - at one time suffering a heart attack while working one of those double time shifts. As much of a dedicated worker as he was he was doubly dedicated to his fellow union members - when they needed him - he was there without question to take on the "company" ...

He worked at that plant when he was young...when he came back from the Korean War, and then even after he moved back to Illinois from living in California where he married my mother and took on the instant family of my three siblings. While I may have been his only blood child, my father never made that distinction between my siblings and myself.

I will be forever grateful for that example my father gave me - and even grateful for the things he showed me that I know didn't make him proud - to me they made him human.

So, while this was a tough week, I made it through and even smiled a time or two ..thank you Prince Charming! Plus it's kinda of befitting I am involved in something I know my father would be right there with me if he could...I can almost hear him saying "Go get em, Eva!"

Yesterday I had a flashback of my father....I was watching a video that one of my cousin's wives posted on Facebook with my cousin Marty in it. It was a promotional video for an organization that works to battle ALS.. Lou  Gehrig's Disease. Marty often reminded me of daddy...that Woywod bloodline tends to stand out when it is in someone -he resembles daddy and was an outspoken advocate of awareness for  ALS and the Les Turner Foundation. Marty passed away earlier this year after suffering from the horrible disease himself...


At one point in the video, Marty turns to his little girl and talks about how everything he does is for her - the smile on his face...the way he just seemed to melt when he looked at that little girl  -the love that poured out of him...well...all of it reminded me of daddy - Two incredible men....two Woywods that have touched this world in amazing ways. 


My heart goes out to Maggie, Marty's daughter - because I know one day she will wonder about the father she missed having around as she was growing - this video below to look back on...and I know she will find comfort in that very scene...it will be bittersweet, this I am sure of...but all the same she will know her father loved her more than anything - like I know that about mine - and when there comes those weeks that she may dread - well - that bittersweet comfort will pull her through and make her stronger - this I do not doubt for a minute - I know first hand. ...and yes daddy, I can still smile even during those weeks - because you taught me how to live. Thank you! 


Below is the video with Marty in it - 









And this video is one with both my parents - I love the ending...Daddy smiling! 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th