Skip to main content

Lend a Hand in ending a crisis

Last year the birth of Lend a Hand started with my ramblings in this blog and from an article I wrote for the Messenger of Juneau County

You can see some of those ramblings here

This morning I found myself needing to write an alert out to the community - as I wrote it I thought about the people in the gulf and what they too must be going through - it's so heartbreaking that so many are hurting so deeply throughout this country....

anyway...take a look and if you can help...please do. 

Crisis
We have a crisis going on - Lend a Hand and Grateful Hearts are swamped with calls of need. While the economy may be picking up in other areas of Wisconsin, Juneau County is still feeling the choke hold.
Couple that with summer being a time most do not have homelessness on their radar, and our names spreading as a place to go for help means we are now in a greater need ourselves than ever before for community support and fundraising.
An example of some of the calls LAH has received this past week -
Example 1: A husband and wife with 6 kids (3 full time and 3 p/t) are both unemployed and on the verge of being evicted. The only money coming in is some child support. Both are looking for jobs and have their applications at various companies. They are unable to apply for assistance with Community Action as prior to being unemployed that organization helped them get into their rental...life caved in.
They are on the 14 month waiting list for HUD housing
The only thing LAH could do at this point is provide a band-aid and one that wouldn't cover the wound as a short-term stay at a motel will not help them unless they could qualify for other housing programs.
Family referred to LAH from other agencies
Example 2: A domestic violence victim who has been married 20+ plus years. DV entered the home after the spouse suffered brain trauma. The DV victim works two jobs but had to leave the home in search of safety - because of victim's income they do not qualify for assistance programs...but the victim's income maintains the family home and mortgage payments. Shelter living outside of the county would place the victim in greater financial need as their jobs are local. The victim was referred to LAH from a DV Advocacy Org.
Example 3: Unemployed male living out of his car. He recently separated with wife. He receives unemployment but waiting for first payment and most will go towards child support. The only shelters for single males are 70+ miles away from Mauston - Without being approved for housing programs all LAH could do at this time was refer this male to another shelter.
Example 4:  Family will be without a roof come July 1st....2 adults and 2 children.. ages 3 and 4. The only income is child support at this time. Family was referred to Community Action in hopes they could get on a waiting list for their programs and then kick in with emergency shelter as of July 1st  as the waiting list can be 3-6 weeks for the programs...if they qualify.
These are just a glimpse of the type of calls we've had this week. There are more like the above. Prior to our meeting last night, LAH had just under $700 to work with. Motel stays range from $129 a week and up depending on the size of the family...because of this we need to be careful on who we approve and who we refer to shelters in other counties as one week or two weeks will not provide the help someone needs unless they are on a waiting list.
Below is our financial report:


(for some reason when this is pasted into the email, some fields are marked out...email us and we can provide you with a copy of the full report)
It is worthy to mention this report does not reflect approximately $291.00 in donations received in the last couple of days..........
We think about the homeless during the cold winter months because no one wants to see a child freeze and go without food. But we also need to think about the steamy humid hot days as well, heat exhaustion kills.
As a community you all have been more than supportive in helping us meet these needs. It's inspiring to know that we can all come together...no matter what our differences are...in helping to provide shelter for our neighbors.
WE NEED YOU!
Go back to your workplace, your family and friends, your church and other organizations you may belong to...share with them about LAH and get CREATIVE!!! Help us with fund raisers!
We can work together on this issue that affects our county!!!
While you're at it, think about Grateful Hearts...right now they are in need of diapers and batteries for the children. You may wonder why about the  batteries, but think about the toys that are donated and the other baby supplies that all run on batteries...without them, they don't operate.
Contact us if you have any questions!!!
Thank you for paying attention!
 
Lend a Hand's mission is to assist and strengthen the Juneau County Community
 by addressing the needs of limited income individuals and families, 
aiding them to become self-sufficient, and creating public awareness 
and education while serving as a resource to those touched by
 unexpected emergencies as they cope with housing uncertainty.
Donations can be sent to:
Lend a Hand
203 Milwaukee St
Mauston, WI. 53948
Phone - 608 547-4476
Visit on the web at: LEND A HAND


The first video I made when wanting to work on this issue, and just weeks before Lend a Hand formed...


to this video...not even a year old Lend a Hand is, and we're working together to help our community!




  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes