Skip to main content

Life with Kyle continues....


And is never a dull moment...and that is not an understatement. In between working, volunteering to help the homeless, looking for more work, helping to campaign for some strong women candidates, a recall effort to rid our local government of a DA out for his own political gain at tax payer's expense and trying to keep my sanity in the process.....there's summertime and Kyle. Justin, my oldest son, is so easy going that rarely is there drama. The only time there's drama with him is if there's no food in the house - which with the bottomless pit of a stomach the kid has it seems to be a never ending Catch 22. That kind of drama is easily handled...

But...

Then...

There's Kyle. 

Even through the health issues Kyle has had he is still my "on the go" kid. Imagine if you will a 12 year old boy...covered head to toe in mud and soaking wet from hunting tadpoles sitting on the living room couch with a guitar in his hands...strumming some new song he has taught himself....and on the coffee table is another art project laying next to his latest science experiment. His mouth is barking out orders to his laid back older brother, while at the same time he trying to tell me about something he just learned watching one of the documentaries on the History Channel. 

If you can picture that....then you know my Kyle...



Hyper doesn't define Kyle - he doesn't bounce of the walls ...he is INTENSE. 

He doesn't take on a project to halfway complete it but rather to perfect a new interest...and come hell or high water HE WILL no matter the cost and who is in his way. 

He is the kid that will go the extra mile to befriend all the other kids that get picked on ....for whatever reason...he doesn't care, he will make them feel special and show them they have value. 

He has "perfect timing", as one teacher once wrote on a report card, and in regard to his twisted sense of humor. 

Older women look at him and his sweet baby face with those huge deep blue eyes and long black eyelashes, and they all fall in love with him as they literally ooze nurturing hugs his way. And, of course, Kyle sits innocently quiet as he eats it all up. 

He has an old soul in a young growing body...just ask the vendor at the flea market who had a 2 hour conversation with him on jazz music and all the legends of jazz....Kyle walked away with 12 free jazz CD's...including some with his favorite, Duke Ellington. 

He can name the band of any song on the classic rock station - just ask him, and I am sure he will tell you he is always right. 
                                                   (Kyle's art at the young age of 10)

Don't know the difference between Monet and Van Gogh? Kyle does. 

There is no such thing as danger in Kyle's eyes...there are only challenges that need to be conquered. 

Raised positioned on my hip at protests and advocating for special education and disability rights in politicians' offices in DC and back in our home bases....Kyle learned early on how to speak up and out. Sometimes I appreciate it, and other times I find myself stressing that until the age of 18 he lives in a dictatorship under my roof! 

I find that every six months or so I am writing about my youngest child, and now that I sit and think about why that must be, I realize it's for me....to remind myself on days like today while I sit ...stare...and shake my head at the aquarium which now houses the  painted turtle that appeared in front of my face  and waking me up from a nap  yesterday afternoon...is because all of this..the laughter, tears and joy...is Life with Kyle....enjoy it while I can, because one day when my house is empty of children I will long for times like this back...








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes