Skip to main content

Exposing truths - the predators



Why are there so many sex offenders in the paper?
 Can't you write about good news?


These are questions I hear on a constant basis...

Just about every week because just about every week I cover a court hearing dealing with a sexual assault of a child.

Mind you that the community I cover stories in is a small rural county - approximately 25k people at any given time call Juneau County Wisconsin home.

Now here is the answer to those questions -

I cover a lot of court hearings, many dealing with sexual assaults of children. And yes, just about every week I can write an article about such a case currently happening in the Juneau County court.  The reason for this is this heinous crime is rampant throughout every community in this country...in the world.  This crime that rapes the soul of an innocent light happens every day in every community - this crime that is so repulsive - uncomfortable and has such far reaching consequences for the victim, those who love them and even the predator's family is every where we look, unless - of course - we turn our backs to it.

So please don't ask me why there's an article in the paper about a sex offender, a  rapist of children - rather ask what can we do as a community to prevent the crime from happening.

The first thing, in my opinion, is acknowledging  it is here...it's rampant...and there's a reason why statistics report 1 in 4 girls...1 in 7  boys report being sexually assaulted before their 18th birthday -

Rremember those numbers the next time you're at a school function and in a room with the kids of your community - look at those faces...that group of a dozen girls and realize that at least three are living the nightmare of child sexual assault AND realize the next time you're watching a local high school football game that at least 2 to 3 boys running on that field could also be victims carrying that dark secret in their core - then ask yourself after you see their faces -why wouldn't you want to know WHO would do such a thing to the children in YOUR community...your backyard??

Or, are you more comfortable with just knowing who is writing hots checks and who ran a downtown stop sign last week?

As to the second question -

On average I write anywhere from 6 to 9 articles a week. From court happenings, to school board meetings and community functions. There's always at least one "feel good" article...if not more. There's almost always 1 or 2 pictures with cutlines on a donation or celebration - could it be you're more disturbed by that one article about a person harming a child and it frustrates you that with it in the paper ...in front of your eyes...you cannot just turn your back to it and walk away like it never happened?

If that's the case...then why are we as a society shocked that officials at Penn  State would cover up something like the Sandusky scandal?

We owe the victims of child sexual assault more....

We owe the children in our communities a safe place to call home...

We are the core of our justice system....we elect the judges...some communities elect their district attorneys...we pay the salaries of the law enforcement who investigate these crimes...we pay the salaries of all those mandated reporters of child abuse..the  public worker salaries...all those teachers, the social workers.....if we are willing to turn our backs on child sexual assault..not want to read about the ones in our commnity,  then why would we be surprised when they do? When the justice systems fails the victims?

Yeah, the crime - the picture child sexual assault creates is ugly and uncomfortable...it's repulsive and it should be...

But get the word "sex" out of your brain and realize it for what it is - violence - violence upon an innocent child - it's a crime about POWER and CONTROL -

Do you want the predators to have and keep the control knowing that the shame so many feel uttering the term sexual assault can be silencing to a community - giving them the playground they need to carry out their violence on our children?

Or should our society...our communities take back the control and place the SHAME where it belongs...on the predators and EXPOSE every single one of them for the MONSTERS they are?|

I don't know about you, but I am of the mindset you expose every one of these creeps for what they are - and when you run into one of them you say to them..."Say Cheese, YOU'RE GOING TO BE EXPOSED and JUSTICE will be served"

Our children need to learn that the shame should never be carried by their innocent souls - it doesn't belong to them ......................we can only do that by keeping the message out there that sexual assault is a CRIME and predators are CRIMINALS that WILL BE DEALT WITH.



The following video is very disturbing - a victim tells her story of growing up in a family where sexual assault was the norm and how it affected her soul - it's stories like this....children like she was...that predators need to be exposed and justice needs to be forthright - if you're a survivor please be warned this video may be a trigger for you -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th