Skip to main content

Greedy Image - Penn State Scandal

I'm about to go off on a rant. Surprise surprise -

In the wake of the Penn State Scandal Cover-up  and revelations that Jerry Sandusky has been accused of the not just fondling little boys, but RAPING THEM - The main question floating around status after status on Facebook and Twitter is, "Why?"

WHY DID NO ONE INTERVENE?|

WHY DID ALL THESE PEOPLE TURN A BLIND EYE?

WHY DID NO ONE FORCE ACTION WHEN INACTION WAS THE NORM?

Here's your answer - Greed - Image - Power - Control -

And the sick bastard raping those little boys - knew it. His image, the image of the institutions connected to him, along with all the power both had and the money that would be lost gave him control - the leverage he needed to get away with the free reign he had in destroying the lives of those children and leaving the scars they must now deal with as they attempt to find normalcy after twisted insanity stole their innocence.

I hope our society is paying attention to this wake up call.  We are the ones who idolize those with the image, those with the money and those with the power and control - we hand it over to them.

Whether it is on the small scale of some local elected official or leader to the larger scale of someone in the national spotlight, we give them the power and too often than not, we don't demand results until it is too late.

We're satisfied with sound-bytes or some other organized effort telling us how to think. That effort can be something as simple as a group, a church, a political party or a union (get the picture?)

Rather than creating our very own unique images, we follow someone else's fabricated highly marketed false identity.

And we wonder why politicians lie? CEOs cheat? And people like Sandusky get away with his crimes while everyone else goes about their business???

Image - Image - Image - Greedy - False - Image = POWER

Our world around us is showing the signs...the symptoms.. of our failures of being lazy and not involved - it's everywhere we look -

From the price we pay at the pump, to the house being foreclosed on and no jobs paying a living wage to put food on the table. And what do must of us do at the end of the day of trying to survive? We settle in front of the t.v. screen of the computer monitor to watch all those plastic images tell us how to think, what to believe.

While Americans are living in tent cities and children going without basics - professional athletes, movie stars, television actors, political commentators, CEOs, and a handful of others are vacationing and partying off of our dimes.

Headlines give us the scoop into their lives...their chaos...those divorces, the DUIs, the accusations of domestic violence, the cheating...etc..etc

We watch...we read...we laugh ...we point...but that's where it stops.

We don't demand better - we don't read those other stories buried in the small print under the fold - we don't want to know about the immediate world around us, about that little child that was murdered, or that woman raped and beaten by her boyfriend - stories such as that make us uncomfortable -they're too close to home.

Who cares that on any given day in our local courts there are case after case of domestic violence, sexual assaults, and all the rest.  We turn our backs to it -

We'd rather watch that football game or check out the latest DVD to be released - we keep feeding that money into those false images of power and greed - and then now we wonder why there'd be this cover-up?


GREED - IMAGE - POWER and CONTROL

That's why.

We need to demand better.

I admit these thoughts may be a bit scattered...but it's my rant and it is what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th