Skip to main content

Where the road turns

I find myself wondering where the road of life will take me next. There was a time that rather than wondering, I worried if I would make the right choices. It was a worry that would keep me frozen in place - a place that was not for me as I was only existing, not living.

I've grown quite bit in the last decade of my life, and I anticipate that my growth will continue as long as I hold true to the one lesson that was hardest for me to learn and accept - I deserve to be treated with the same honesty and respect I give to others - if not, walk away.

I started that lesson the day I started this blog and telling my story - owning it for all the bad and good it contained - the mistakes, the dreams, and the fears that had built up within me after many decades of silence and ill-treatment, from others and then also myself onto myself.

This blog started out of the whispers of others talking about what they thought was my story and retelling it as if they were present for it. There was a time I would run and isolate myself so that I hid in my silence- that behavior stopped the day I started writing/living for me, and not others. Since then I've learned a lot about myself - and most importantly my story is mine and mine alone to tell - mine to triumph in, and my choice sometimes to share as guidance and a reminder to others we're all in this life together.

The day I started down that road was the day I stepped out of the shadows of fear.

For quite some time now my youngest child has urged me to go beyond this blog and write about my life, a life he says he finds fascinating.  He wants me to write a book. I tell him I have my project -

 I am still hoping to complete my project. I wanted to have it finished by now but that fascinating life took a few turns and diverted my direction. My project was to write about the remarkable survivors out there in our communities creating better tomorrows for all by using the lessons of a traumatic past to pave the way. However, a very cold winter and Rheumatoid Arthritis, finances, and a car I couldn't count on kept me from making the trek across the midwest which is essential to the project and how I feel it must be completed.

There was yet another twist in the road I thought I planned for but wasn't prepared for - and that was the release from prison of my ex-husband who had been my abuser. Circumstances around his release stopped me in my tracks for a bit so that I could battle a system that wasn't prepared for the voice of a victim during offender re-entry. I made strides in advocating for the voice of survivors, and perhaps that was all meant to be for now I have another chapter to speak about through my project.

That project is always in my head as something I must do ..must complete- a calling so to speak. A calling to show and guide others out of the darkness of trauma into a light of life yet to be fully lived and enjoyed.  So please know I am working hard to get it done, which includes bettering my position so that I can get into a trustworthy car, and have the backing I need to work it, live it, and complete it. The Heartland Project is my answer to Everything Happened in my Life for a Reason.

It WILL get done - it must get done.

Until then, until that completion, this blog will take on a new front.

A few weeks ago I received an email from a blogger who requested to be a guest writer on my site. That was the first time I have ever had such a request so it took me by surprise, and to be honest I didn't write her back. She was persistent and this week she emailed me yet again. I checked out her postings on her blog, and decided that it is in line with my own, but a new perspective - something fresh for my readers.

So, for this blog the road is turning a bit and Stephanie March will be on it with me and you.

I expect the next posting will be from her - You can see for yourself her own blog: Stephanie Sparkles

Stephanie, I look forward to reading your additions Thankfully Chewed Up and Spat Back Out!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th