Skip to main content

Forgiveness - #WhenIBecameFree - The Heartland Project

To forgive is not to excuse, 
It is not a free pass to condone,
Nor does it pardon the offender. 

To forgive is an act of self love, 
And paves your next step towards growth,
It is sacred and should be used wisely. 

It doesn't mean those who offend should enter your life again, 
It doesn't mean those boundaries you've worked at setting should be ignored
It means you understand that carrying vengeance is harmful to your soul.  



Victims tend to not truly understand the meaning of forgiveness. Often they forgive and then allow those who abuse them right back into their lives, creating the very same drama that caused harm. Boundaries had not been set, or if they had been, they are willingly put aside. 

You know you are on the road to being a survivor when you understand you can forgive the offender although taking care of your own needs come first - boundaries remain intact, and if anything become stronger. 

I have forgiven many, but also have not allowed their toxic behaviors back into my world. That is healthy for me. I do not carry hatred, nor vengeance  towards them  -also healthy for me, When there is an attempt to draw me back into the whirlwind of drama, I tend to stand firm with my boundaries as my shield. 

It has taken me decades in understanding how forgiveness truly works, and it is something any

survivor must work at a continuum. I used to be the person who would willingly allow those who had harmed me right back into my life all in the name of what I thought was forgiveness, only to be left with deeper scars when the toxic behaviors came back, striking me down once again.

I had to learn that forgiveness and trust are two very different things. That, in fact, you can forgive someone without trusting them, because trust must always be earned. To truly trust another, first you must trust yourself, and just because you have forgiven another, that doesn't mean they have earned your trust. 

To understand forgiveness, you must trust yourself and know your own needs and boundaries. You need to keep those boundaries in place. That is when you also understand that you can only control your actions, and not the actions of others which then gives you the strength to walk away from those you do not trust, but have forgiven. That is when you trust yourself, and your wings become strong to fly free.

#WhenIBecameFree - The Heartland Project  - Learn about survivors workings towards bettering their communities by sharing their stories! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th