Skip to main content

National Domestic Violence Month: We Deserve To Be Heard


A Guest Post By Stephanie March






October is National Domestic Violence Awareness month. I would argue that every month needs to be an awareness month until this is no longer an epidemic in our country, but I am thankful for the extra attention October brings to the 12 million people affected each year.


My hope has always been for awareness to unite the public in demanding that better laws are passed to protect the victims and survivors as well as harsher sentencing for the offenders. There is an absolute possibility that the public can help reshape the justice system. In the past, public policy has led to reformation in the justice system for several crimes. We should expect no less when we talk about domestic violence law reform.


There are currently some bills circulating this year that would help in domestic violence law reform. One is Candace’s Law, introduced by Texas Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, which calls for enhanced sentencing for offenders that commit acts of domestic violence in the presence of minor children. Children are often present and they suffer a great deal of mental and emotional harm when they witness violence in the home.


The offender is, in my opinion, committing child abuse and should be held accountable for that crime as well.


Another bill introduced by Texas Representative Lee is My Sister’s Keeper Act. This bill calls for grants to be awarded to appropriate agencies to teach the important role friends, families, and co-workers of domestic violence victims have in creating safety plans. A safety plan is a detailed plan of escape for victims that can be crucial in saving their lives. I had one prepared for me and it played a vital role in saving my life. Mine was prepared by a social worker and therapist. Not all victims have access to these resources and this bill would help those closest to them ensure their safety.


A third bill introduced this past July by Michigan Congresswoman Debbie Dingell and Illinois Congressman Robert Dold would close the loopholes in the current laws that allow convicted abusers easy access to guns. This bill is titled the Zero Tolerance for Domestic Abusers Act and one simple Google search of “offender had a history of domestic violence” will be all the explanation needed as to how badly this needs to be passed. Just one search pulls up dozens of homicides and attempted homicides perpetrated by offenders with a record of domestic violence convictions that had access to weapons. It’s an infuriatingly common occurrence.


While these bills are all fantastic examples of strides the justice system is taking, I believe there is so much more that needs to be done. Currently survivors have to file for protection orders from the county and state where they reside and this information legally must be made available to the abuser. If there is anything more backwards than that it is on par with these five weird laws that are so wrong they are comical. But, believe me, there is nothing comical about a survivor having to announce the area in which they are living and open themselves up to exactly what they are trying to prevent by starting over.


Many are forced to move, change their identities, and give up every aspect of their former lives- friends and high school diplomas included.


The real kicker is that most protection orders have to be renewed every year or every couple of years depending on the state. Here is another huge opportunity for change in the justice system. Survivors file paperwork, uproot their lives, and start over only to find themselves repeating the process. And each time they are forced to face their abuser in court they are exposing themselves to a high level of danger and revictimization. This causes additional and completely unnecessary trauma for the survivor.


Currently several states, but not all, offer rare lifetime protection orders. These orders never expire and never have to be renewed. I would argue that these shouldn’t be so rare and they should be available in every single state in this country.


We should be protecting these survivors instead of exposing them to further danger because of archaic procedures and laws. It is time for change. It is time for this to be at the forefront of minds all across this country on any given month of the year. We need to get angry and motivated as a collective. With 12 million lives being affected each and every year, that’s quite the collective.


I know I am a tiny part of the collective- one small passionate voice. But I will display my purple ribbon, type until my fingers go numb, and speak out until my voice grows tired. Then I will get up and do it again. Futile? Maybe. Hopeless? Never.

We deserve to be heard.





Stephanie March is a writer, survivor, and advocate. You can find her on Twitter or read more at her blog.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th