Skip to main content

Why I Speak Out - A Guest Post By Stephanie March






Speaking out about your story, the good and the bad, is definitely not for everyone. People are afraid of judgement, being attacked, and losing all sense of privacy. And with good reason. What began as a blog about the mundane and funny aspects of my life soon morphed into something very different as I left an abusive relationship.

I began to share what I was going through and what I had experienced in the past. Writing it down was cathartic but sharing it with others that understood was life changing. To receive the kind of feedback I receive is something I never expected but am grateful for with every article I write. It encourages me to share more and helps reduce my own feelings of shame and stigma about issues I’m facing.

And as those feelings of shame and stigma began to fade into soft whispers in the background, I kept going. I began to share about other issues that breed in silence beyond the topic of domestic abuse. I began writing for other, larger sites with bigger audiences. I still get nervous or anxious at the publication of certain articles but the inspiration I get from the readers is worth every ounce. Sharing gives me the strength to overcome and conquer my past and my present.

I have faced angry people when writing and I have written articles that I later wasn’t proud of. I deleted them and moved on. I forgave myself for being an emotional human being that felt things no human should have to feel and coped in the only way I knew how. I was angry, I was hurt, and I was grieving. I lashed out and the backlash wasn’t pretty.

Speaking out in general opens up the possibility of offending angry strangers and distancing loved ones. It is a risk. But I have always been inspired by those that take risks, those that dare to dream the world can be a better place. So dream I did and continue to do. It is this hope for the future that helped me pull through the dark days I spent living in safe houses for women and children survivors of domestic violence.

Many people end up in shelters when they leave violent relationships, like I did. According to this article published by Bradley University Professor Kelly Schwend the homeless are often homeless because of “mental health issues, addiction, physical health issues, and domestic violence”. They are often “single adults with a variety of complex medical, mental health and addiction issues”. After being suddenly among them it has become one of the issues I openly write about in hopes that it will educate and bring awareness to the cause… and perhaps a bit more kindness.

And so I write. About mental health issues like depression, anxiety, and PTSD. About being homeless. About surviving abuse from childhood to adulthood. I share my story and hope that someone out there finds it when they need it the most. I close out the fear of retribution or backlash and silence it just as society silences all survivors and people that suffer. I close it out, open up, and let the light in. My greatest wish is that it lets a little light in for you along the way.

One of my favorite characters is Will Smith’s portrayal of Chris Gardner in The Pursuit of Happyness. He goes from poor, to homeless, to successful and it is based on a true story. The story itself and the writing are simply beautiful. It gave me hope that I too could bounce back and possibly inspire others along the way.


“The future was uncertain, absolutely, and there were many hurdles, twists, and turns to come, but as long as I kept moving forward, one foot in front of the other, the voices of fear and shame, the messages from those who wanted me to believe that I wasn’t good enough, would be stilled.” - Chris Gardner, The Pursuit of Happyness




Stephanie is a writer, survivor, and advocate. You can find her on Twitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th