Skip to main content

Genuine Ramblings #WhenIBecameFree


We're almost there. I am getting close to concentrating my effort in compiling the stories and experiences of survivors into a book and more. I feel it will all flow together nicely. Each story sharing something with the others, yet also unique in so many ways - a reflection of real life.

This morning as I was doing some other work and sipping my coffee, my mind was on the project and some events of the week. I was thinking about the survivors as I waited for a video I was uploading to Youtube, I scanned my newsfeed on Facebook. All of those elements came together in my mind and I realized something about why I have such an emotional tie to this project and the survivors. They stood out in my thoughts and the word "genuine" kept playing over and over in my mind.

When they sit down and speak to me to share those stories that they do, all ego is removed. There's no pretending to be someone they are not, that someone they think people will like, there's no putting on airs - no fake smiles hiding their true thoughts, no sharing of memes on their profile to make them seem always happy and positive - they are being real, being genuine.  In a world of short attention spans and instant judgments, it is refreshing to have these conversations.

The conversations are not all gloom and doom. There's a balance. Yes, they share their once nightmares but then they also share their joys and accomplishments - sometimes those accomplishments are just being realized as the words come out of their mouths. The time we sit down together and communicate, there's a connection that is happening, a bond being forged between them and me....and soon, so many others who will either be reading their stories or seeing them on video.

The genuine nature of it all is addicting and something I feel is sorely missing in our society. After being with a newspaper for almost 13 years, I know a lot of people, seen a lot of things, and heard more than my share of rumors, including ones about myself.  In my community, I lost my anonymity, probably more than most who live in a rural area. All of which happened during one of the most trying periods in my life, when I was rebuilding a life from scratch and trying to find my way through a healing path I had to walk on my own. To deal with it all I had to create my own protective bubble of isolation ...when I could.  If I wasn't working or volunteering I could be found (if you tried to find me) hiding in my home. I'll admit it, I hid in that protective bubble watching the world play out on social media. You can learn a lot living on both sides of that coin, especially when you're raw and broken down while also being fact finder writer and a human nature sponge.

One of the things I think I've discovered is while we think that in the age of technology,  communication is lightning fast that we're seeing the true nature of people, secrets exposed, that may be true in one sense, but I still see the false front of the generation I grew up in and the ones prior to mine, and I see it magnified. It is the "what goes on behind closed doors, stays there," attitude. A hypocrisy we all walk in one way, shape or form. And it is one that causes pain to unsuspecting victims, especially those who are being actively abused or just starting their healing process. It can throw them deeper into the dungeon of no self-esteem and self-hate because, in the rawness of their pain, they cannot pretend - they can either face it on their own or choose to numb themselves from feeling anything at all.

The reason for that is because no matter the cheery memes and warnings not to, we all do compare our walk, our lives, and our experiences to others around us. This is especially true for those hurting and searching to find somewhere/someone they can identify with and when you can't, you feel more isolated than ever before. There's a reason there are so many people, especially the young ones or hurting ones walking around with their cell phones always in front of their face. They're searching to belong somewhere...and to get there, they will play into the fake smiles, those false masks, and that "what happens behind closed doors, stay there, " attitudes. Is it a wonder there's so much drama being played out on social media? It is a reflection of the dysfunction that does playout behind those closed doors...all the whispers still happen, all the backstabbing and all the mental abuse still spins out of control - whether we like it or not, even though we're pretending it doesn't exist.

Which brings me back to the conversations I am documenting and having with survivors -  they're real, they're raw, they're genuine, and they show the balance of life. The ups - those downs -and the lessons we learn from. I so appreciate having this experience, firsthand, and to be able to share it all with others. It is where I belong.

Be who you are - none of us are perfect - life is not perfect - stop pretending and start living. Be genuine.





Ok, and now for the thing I least like to post but must to be able to finish this project, #WhenIBecameFree. To do it, I need support.

Last week I was able to get one corp. sponsor, Wisconsin River Meats in Mauston, WI.  Visit them on Facebook and message them - tell them "thank you" for supporting #WhenIBecameFree and survivors of abuse! Let them know we're paying attention!  And, just a little FYI - their landjaegers and garlic summer sausage are outstanding! When I can, I send them to my boys in Memphis - needless to say, what I send is gobbled up as the package is being opened.


This week I will be hitting feet to the pavement to get more....expect to hear from me Juneau County and beyond.  ;)   and know it is very hard for me to approach you!



SUPPORT WHEN I BECAME FREE!
Support the #WhenIBecameFree project by wearing awareness! For every shirt sold, $10 will go to support the project - getting it completed, published and distributed.  Shirts may be purchased here. If you're local to Juneau County, just email me and I will send you an invoice w/o a shipping charge.

Any and all donations are welcome!

Any way you choose to support this effort is greatly appreciated! Even if it is just sharing my blog, the website, or liking and sharing the Facebook page.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th