Skip to main content

When I ran out of excuses is #WhenIBecameFree

His face was red and twisted with rage. I didn't recognize him. His hand was on my throat and the other holding my wrists together over my head. I was pinned. My legs were pinched together as I desperately tried to wiggle out from under him. I was crying...sobbing. I couldn't believe what was happening, how I had loved the man who was now doing this to me. How we had almost two decades together, two beautiful children, and how we were supposed to be the couple that made it, against all odds. It was then he spatted out at me something that has been burned into my memory ever since the words left his mouth: "What? This reminding you of your childhood?"

As soon as those words hit my ears I knew there would be no going back. No more excuses would I be able to make for his uncontrollable anger when he was drunk. I could no longer blame it on his rotten childhood and the wounds he carried. I couldn't blame the mistress in our marriage, that bottle of booze. Those words, that sword cutting at my soul, showed his intent. This wasn't an accident. He wanted to hurt me, he wanted to scar me, and he wanted me to know it.

It was a moment in the hour-long attack that I would listen to on repeat, over and over. The audio file on my laptop captured it all when he came through the door and I hit record. After breaking free to go get help from the police and they arrested him, I was left with a lot of time to think. To lay on that bed we once shared, my bed, that now was a scene to a crime.

The police didn't confiscate my laptop when I made the report, they didn't even download the audio file. They captured the evidence, that hour-long audio file, by placing a recorder next to my laptop and hitting record. I can remember hearing it play, hearing me crying, his threats, the slaps, my pleas, as I was in another room waiting to do something that now I cannot remember what that was -but, yes, I remember hearing my nightmare play out at the police station. If I could hear it, so could everyone else. I wanted to die.

That afternoon, when they were done with their "evidence gathering", they handed me my laptop and off my boys and I went. We returned home. There are no words to convey our emptiness and the shock we were in. I remember sitting with them at the kitchen table. Kyle, 9 years old, with his huge blue eyes looking up at me, tears welling up but no words out of his mouth. Then Justin, 13 years old, trying to act strong for Kyle and I but muttering how he thought I was going to be killed that day.

What does a mother do in that situation? I can remember thinking, "they don't write how-to books about this stuff."

I tried to reassure them as much as possible that we were going to be okay.  They were fearful that their father would be released soon and then they were worried that they would never see him again.  I told them that their father was not well and needed some help, but that he loved them. "Maybe this time he will get the help he needs."

At some point I ended up back in my bedroom, on that bed, listening to the audio file on my laptop and to what had just happened earlier in the day. I didn't understand why the police didn't confiscate my laptop, but grateful that they didn't because besides working that was my only contact with the outside world. I didn't have the courage to call anyone, but I could message them. I didn't want them to hear my voice quiver trying to explain it all. However, first I needed it to sink into my own head before I could reach out to anyone else.

Over and over I listened. I listened closely trying to remember it all, even though it had just happened. Every time I stopped at that one moment, that instance when he said, ""What? This reminding you of your childhood?"

That one moment, the couple of seconds it took for him to say that, burned through me. It hurt more than the slaps and hits I took. It hurt more than the body aches that were taking hold like whiplash. It hurt because to me that was the very first time I heard an intent. It was something I could not excuse away from too much alcohol.

Up to then, only a few people knew I had been sexually assaulted as a child, and only Tim knew the details and how many times. He knew those crimes left a deep wound in me which I struggled to break free from. I trusted him at one time to tell him my entire story - everything.  He knew exactly what saying that to me would do- it was his intent.

There were no more excuses left.

The next day I woke up to a collect call from the county jail, it was Tim.  A part of me wondered if he was going to apologize, so I accepted the charges. I knew he wasn't supposed to call me and somehow, once again, the jail wasn't paying attention. There were no apologies from him. Just excuses, "I blacked out," he said.  "I didn't do that. It wasn't that bad." he continued. He wanted me to call his work and bring him underwear.

I sat there looking at my laptop. Remembering that one moment. Remembering the intent in his words.  Yes, no more excuses. I woke up.




SUPPORT WHEN I BECAME FREE!
Support the #WhenIBecameFree project by wearing awareness! For every shirt sold, $10 will go to support the project - getting it completed, published and distributed.  Shirts may be purchased here. If you're local to Juneau County, just email me and I will send you an invoice w/o a shipping charge.

Your support will help keep the project and me going to completion. All stories are being compiled into a book and mini documentary - at least 50 percent of the profits will go towards a crisis fund to help survivors rebuild their lives as the learn to fly free.

Any and all donations are welcome!

Go Fund Me Page

Any way you choose to support this effort is greatly appreciated! Even if it is just sharing my blog, the website, or liking and sharing the Facebook page.  

Thank you to Wisconsin River Meats  and Benders' Family Restaurant for being official sponsors of #WhenIBecameFree. Give a like to their their Facebook page (click links above) and let them know how appreciative we all are that they are supporting survivors finding their voices!
https://www.wisconsinrivermeats.com/
https://www.facebook.com/bendersfamilyrestaurant/
Also, today a new sponsor was added, my baby boy who has donated his own hard earned cash and in-kind support as he will be writing and performing the music for the video, Kyle Roberts.  Give a like to his Facebook page.


I am still working hard at getting donations, I know this is a new concept for many, crowdfunding a creative writing project such as this, and I do appreciate all who have donated! I am still well below my goal of raising $5k ...heck, I know I will get there. I believe in miracles.  This project will get completed!  All donors will receive recognition once the project is completed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th