Skip to main content

Pep Talk #WhenIBecameFree

Have you ever believed in something so strongly you were willing to lose everything by taking a risk? Putting your heart and all of your soul and time into an idea? Something you know that to do it right, it will take your focus, all of your focus to withstand the self-doubts that you know will try to stop you in your tracks? I do and let me tell you, it is taking everything in me, all those lessons of healing, to see it through.

I now know how an artist and musician feels when they too put all of their own self into their work, fighting those self-doubts, those whispers of, "You're going to fail. Fall on your face and be a laughingstock." The true meaning of a starving artist.

That is where I am at with this project of mine, #WhenIBecameFree. I am lucky that while doing the work to complete it all, I am already seeing that impact. It has taken off on a life of its own. It was one thing to interview the survivors, that alone was/is an accomplishment for this project - to sit across from people who have lived through what many would consider being a living Hell, and listen to their fight to survive, then thrive free from abuse. Now I've also witnessed these remarkable people bond. The #WhenIBecameFree survivors have joined forces to make a positive change in our rural community.

I hope I can find the words to convey the beauty in it all - I wish I could draw it so you could understand what my witnessing eyes are seeing. It is like watching a warm healing ball of light growing each time a new story is told, each time that story touches another person, planting seeds of hope and nurturing those wounds that cut so deep.

Late at night, when I cannot sleep, my thoughts drift back to the once little girl I was - that child who was so alone with the secrets I carried, always protecting them, with everything in me, keeping them locked away to never see the light of day. Remembering the horror of being a victim of child sexual assault and realizing that if that had not happened, over four decades ago, I would not be witnessing the healing in others that I am seeing today, and all because something in me knew they needed to let those secrets out like I had to do after too many years of carrying that pain.

In the last week, I have listened to a survivor speak about rebuilding a relationship with her mother after years of never speaking - another talking about freely discussing the abuse her sons also withstood, something she didn't know until she told her story and all because they kept the secrets too. Then there is that young woman embracing the label of mental illness and wanting others to feel the empowerment she does now and all because she embraced her truths.  The domino effects of healing rather than the ever growing prison of secrets.

Life is making sense.

I've let go of trying to control this project. It is fluid and every day a new aspect to appreciate enters the picture.

I know I need to reevaluate how I present this project to others - they need to see the impact, all of it -from the despair to the new days being created.  Cycles being broken.

So, that is my goal tomorrow. I need to convey all of that, somehow, in promoting #WhenIBecameFree. I need to build the support for this project so that I can dedicate that time and effort. I refuse to let this fail.  It means too much.

You may not understand this post tonight, but I do. It is a pep talk to combat that self-doubt which keeps trying to get me to stop or go into a rut.  It is very much like the pep-talks I've had with my very talented son, Kyle. That musician who struggles with "why" - why did he get the talent that he has, why does it drive him to do things others would consider too risky, not safe- not stable......Because Everything Happens for a Reason and you just have to have faith that this was meant to be. Believe in yourself like I must Believe in myself.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes