Skip to main content

Wandering through time - an outloud journal entry


 Never in my life did I ever really wanted the label of writer. It was never an ambition of mine. Some may not believe that since I made a mediocre living reporting on small town America in a rural Wisconsin county, but honestly, that all happened by accident. I was trying to afford life as a separated mom of two with my soon to be ex becoming more and more violent, emotionally and physically. I found my way into that job purely by trying to survive. 

I can remember telling myself to just be a fly on the wall and observe, keep your personal opinion out of it, allow the readers to decide for themselves. It was something I would make an honest effort at maintaining for those almost 13 years. 

Some days I loved it, some days I despised it. It wasn't what I wanted to do, it was because I had to - isn't that the truth for most of us? Sad.

We have dreams as children and somewhere along the line they get derailed, altered, or just plain left in the dust of the chaos of our lives. 

People and culture throughout time has always been a fascination for me, needless to say when I learned what anthropology meant, it called to me. I could see myself out there exploring life, researching, and then sitting in a basement of a museum somewhere staring in fascination at the finds. All those stories, all those experiences conveying the story of our world, US, all of us. 

The other part of me wanted to go work in the inner cities and make an impact in the lives of children, especially children who were like me and had a childhood filled varying degrees of trauma. I knew they needed the love, I need to give it and feel like it mattered. 

But, as for being labeled a writer, nah, never. Now, don't get me wrong, I did do a lot of writing in my younger days, but they were more essays on life, emotions, my surroundings and questions of why. There was some really poor poetry and some really good pieces, too however none of those ever saw the light of day. I filled notebooks with my then tiny cursive handwriting. It was a way for me to process everything in my head along with my heart - how sometimes the two contradicted each other. Very personal, very deep, and now lost in time somewhere in one of the many moves of my life. 

I wish I could go back and look at some of those conversations I had in writing with myself. The ones from the period I call the my own Dark Ages, my teen years. I'd probably blush at some of things I admitted from my heart, and maybe laugh at the sarcasm I am sure I was training at the time - but maybe there would be words of wisdom I didn't appreciate then that I would now and I could beam with pride in knowing I wasn't as pathetic and too sensitive as others had convinced me I had been. 

Even this blog I started wasn't a goal of mine, it came out of the suggestion from a friend. 

I don't know why I am thinking about all of this tonight, but I am, therefore it all must be for a reason. I don't discuss all of my life on here, of course there are things that will never be seen as typed words -there's no way to convey those things and believe it or not I do keep a lot personal. Us women are entitled to those personal treasures, it keeps us believing in tomorrows even if our hearts have been broken repeatedly in the past.

If you asked me what my profession was in life, my very first response would be a mom and then an observer. 

Maybe I am trying to figure out next steps in life when our world, our country,  is so messy. As a single/divorced 56 year old woman labeled now as disabled, it's scary to think about what may be coming our way if we can't get the great divide stitched together with some threads of peace. It's scary for people like me in the good times and for obvious reasons, fixed incomes are not fun. But this....this shit storm we're in, it is terrifying.

A little off topic, but not really, last night I joked to my son that I finally figured out where these medical issues I've had most of my life came from, a lame joke after doing some genealogy searches. On my Mom's side it is looking like we have a Templar Knight and on my Dad's side they were from East Prussia, original Prus lineage, along with some Nordic and Baltic bloodlines..the very lands those Templar Knights went through during the Crusades and battling to convert the last of the pagan clans, the Prus. I came to a conclusion that those two sides are still battling but in my dna and causing all of this - lame, I know. It was a Mom joke - we got a few too. 

This afternoon I thought about how we look in the mirror and we can see bits and pieces of our ancestors in our reflections, but then why don't we understand they are also deep within us, our cells, our dna...all those things coming together. Maybe, just maybe, if we gave all of that some real thought and knowing where they came from, their lives, and realizing our ancestors have been battling each other within us since the beginning of time - maybe realizing all the pain it caused in our own families, each of those branches on one tree, we'd stop this crap. All the trauma we end up having to heal. I don't know how else to say it...disagreements are one thing but wars, internal and otherwise should be teaching us something, but obviously, they don't. There are no winners. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts and truths today... 



I’m adding something new — if you’d like to help encourage me with a tip for some coffee you can here.

And please pay attention to …..

HEALING HEARTS

https://www.gofundme.com/f/inject-healing-hearts-into-communities

Healing Hearts.

I might be placing my vulnerabilities out there for the world to laugh at and me to be picked apart but we keep getting this wrong, why not try?

At least I want to try to place a bandaid on my branch of the family tree, I am tired of the destruction.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th