Skip to main content

For Sale - The Untold Reality



Nights are cool, windows need to be closed and quilts help to keep the kids and I warm. Autumn is on it's way in. Days are getting shorter and pretty soon sunset will be happening at the same time as the boys and I sit down for dinner.

We can breath a sigh of relief that the warm humid days of summer will be behind us, and we no longer need to worry about how hot and uncomfortable we will be while wondering if we will ever get that a/c repaired. Thankfully this past summer has been cooler than norm, someone was looking out for us.

While we may be thankful that cooler days are coming, I am reminded this morning when I read articles and headlines of homes for sale under $50,000, that there are many people ...many parents and children out there dreading the snow and cold and life in winter ...while homeless.

I found myself scanning a website with listings of these below market value homes, and wonder about the story behind each one. Who was the little girl that once called that pink room bedroom her castle? Or how many meals did some family share in that dinning room? How many holidays ...special moments....were celebrated there? Were the owners of the home young parents who dreamed about their children's future? Where are they now?

Yes, each of those homes have a story of a family contained within it's walls...

Perhaps someone lost a job....
Or someone became ill and medical bills piled up....
Maybe it was that adjustable rate mortgage that got away from them before help came...
So many listings....so many homes...so many stories being untold. And then there are those who never owned a home to begin with......

Lives changed forever...some will find strength ...some will only see anger...while some will get lost in despair.

Needless to say I absorb the untold truths, and survey my own situation....knowing that one day a picture of my home may be the cliff notes to the existence the children and I have had the last few years.....never say never........

The air in my home is cool this morning...a quilt is wrapped around my shoulders...and I wonder about those homes...those people....are they warm?

In the background Face the Nation is on....they're discussing Swine Flu, education and pay for teachers.

I wonder why no one has been talking about the homeless. It's been a long time since I've seen any news show that highlights their plight.

Why?
Time for a Google search on homeless, and this is what I found -

New York Times

Excerpt below...

While current national data are not available, the number of schoolchildren in homeless families appears to have risen by 75 percent to 100 percent in many districts over the last two years, according to Barbara Duffield, policy director of the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth, an advocacy group.

There were 679,000 homeless students reported in 2006-7, a total that surpassed one million by last spring, Ms. Duffield said.

With schools just returning to session, initial reports point to further rises. In San Antonio, for example, the district has enrolled 1,000 homeless students in the first two weeks of school, twice as many as at the same point last year.

“It’s hard enough going to school and growing up, but these kids also have to worry where they’ll be staying that night and whether they’ll eat,” said Bill Murdock, chief executive of
Eblen-Kimmel Charities, a private group in Asheville that helps needy families with anything from food baskets and money for utility bills to toiletries and a prom dress.
“We see 8-year-olds telling Mom not to worry, don’t cry,” Mr. Murdock said.

I've heard those words coming from my son..."Don't worry Mom - don't cry" ...words no child should have to say...unfortunately life for many dictates another reality.

How do we change this?

Winter is coming...so many children are about to feel a cold they will never shake....

Maybe if all of us remember that every time we see that nice home for sale under 50 grand...there's a child comforting a parent...maybe then together all of us can make a difference...

There has got to be a way that together we can provide a quilt of comfort for those who are in need.

Snow is on the way..........






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th