Skip to main content

Laced Beauty - it's a girl thing!

Lately if you've been around me you probably wouldn't guess that I am truly one of those girly type women when it comes to make-up, perfume, bubble baths...and all those little things that can make being a woman a little extra special.

 I've been so damn busy, stressed and quite frankly haven't had the extra cash to take advantage of the things I use to take for granted.

That's probably the reason that earlier this week I jumped on an opportunity when I saw one on my Facebook home page. A friend shared a link to a page and asked people to like it - Laced Beauty - the name caught my attention so I decided to check it out -and that's when I saw a post kicking off a new brand of mineral make-up and a limited offer to attain some free samples....Needless to say - I jumped on that puppy!

Soon I began to learn that it is a small female owned start up company here in Wisconsin - learning that intrigued me some more.     I emailed the owner, Melissa Hamilton, told her my color preferences, skin tone and eye color....two days later I had some mail that included five samples of mineral eye shadow.  The colors were perfect but the real test came when I played around with them - it reminded me why I use to take that time and enjoy the "girly" things that I once did....I always did it for myself - paying attention to me.........

I was very pleased with the quality of the product so I emailed Melissa and asked her to tell me a little about herself and why she decided to take on such a venture....this was her reply...

"Well, ever since I was little I've always had an interest in makeup. More recently I spent a great deal of money buying a collection of mineral makeup only to have it stolen out of my car last month. I've always loved the benefits of mineral makeup, and I really wanted to have control over the products and colors I use. I decided I wanted to make quality mineral makeup at affordable prices. So last month I decided to purchase the products to make it myself.  ......After experimenting with different minerals, I am ready to release my first set of colors. 

Now I have to tell you that I am writing this post mainly because I find it inspiring when women take hold of ideas and run with them - it's empowering for others to know these stories...especially in this economy.  I say that also after the last year and a half of working with many single moms on the verge of being or are homeless....and a majority of which are also victims/survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault.

Often  I will sit up an night and try to think of ways to help myself and other women in my situation. Wondering how to take charge and control of life in a way where that single mom ...her home...her children's health and nourishment is not determined by someone else making money off of her work...especially here in rural America where living wages is pretty much a pipe dream.

Now Melissa may not have been in such a situation...I don't know...but it doesn't matter because her efforts are an example to all of us who need inspiration.

I know a lot of my readers are survivors and single moms like myself and who are in fact struggling to make ends meat - so take heed - pay attention and let your imagination fly ...then grab on to it...what do you have to lose?

Let me know what you've done or what you dream about doing...I want to hear from women who are taking back control of not only their heart but also their destiny - we need to inspire one another - and just so you know...Melissa also said this in her reply to my question.....

I am interested in hosting mineral makeup parties similar to Mary Kay, in different areas to get my product out there.
So...maybe  ...who knows....Laced Beauty may be that start of a very beautiful thing for many.....ya never know.

Look for Laced Beauty on Facebook for updates and specials...you can also contact Melissa at LacedBeauty@live.com.

Also....check back to my blog this weekend...I am up to something once again...and plan to announce it probably Sunday morning............



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th