Skip to main content

Today I was a bitch - no...really!

I take full and one hundred percent credit!

I awoke this morning feeling like pure dog crap. Not that I have a clue what that feels like...but ya know.

Let me backtrack - all this past holiday weekend I felt something coming on - I am use to allergies at this time of year so I usually just "deal" and live on OTC generic (the cheap stuff) sinus pressure medicine. It's been my way of life now for...hmmm..2 decades at least.

This past weekend was no different - couple that with the heat and humidity - I was downing those babies (sinus meds) like candy...except they didn't seem to work - they didn't have any affect on the scratchy throat that started on Saturday evening nor that twinge I was feeling in my ear last night  - so I did what I do best, I ignored it.

I have this ability to ignore pain and discomfort - it's a gift leftover from a childhood spent in hospitals and undergoing many tests and procedures as well as surgeries. However, with that little gift of high tolerance came a downside - I, as an adult, avoid doctors like the freaking plague.  I want nothing to do with them - I've managed just fine without them -until that is something gets so bad I have no choice....

Yeah, that brings to me to being a bitch today (and I take full credit for it - and yes, I am the only one ALLOWED to call myself that when it's deserved)

I woke up this morning feeling extremely lightheaded and just not right at all - I put if off to the heat we've had as well as lack of sleep I've had.

Throughout the morning I could feel pressure building in my head - I did what I do best...put it out of my mind. Then about mid way through the morning I could feel my jaw tightening up on one side and a throbbing in the bone right under the lobe. I thought perhaps it must have been from clenching it as someone...some people, that is...were irritating the ...ya know what...out of me.

So...I went and got a cup of coffee....coffee makes everything better!

As I was pouring it I noticed in the mirror in my kitchen that my jaw was swollen - well, that's not even the word for it - it looked like it had exploded and was disconnected.

Well, that's not good, I thought

Then I got more irritated as I knew I needed to call the doctor on this one. It was about 12:30 in the afternoon by now, and in two hours I was due in court to cover a hearing.

Great! Just frigging wonderful! It's deadline day and this cannot be happening! 


Oh, did I mention that five minutes before that some butthole decided to do a prank call to my number under a private caller id?  - uh, yeah.

Anyway, that was about the time that my oldest walked in and wanted to know what I was grumbling about - then he saw it ...my jaw....and needless to say he freaked out.

"Alright! I will call the doctor!" 


I go to my trusty computer to look up the number - cuz it's not like I would have it handy...c'mon, pay attention.

I summon up the courage to call - have myself prepped to tell the nurse that I need to get in and then out - just give me the antibiotics and let me go.

As I tell the receptionist what was wrong and I needed to get in to see that doctor of mine...the one I can barely remember how to pronounce her name....I am informed, "Oh, she's gone for six months"

"How in the hell can a doctor be gone for 6 months?" 


"She's on a what? A sabbatical? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??"


Ok, I could feel that bitchy sarcasm monster starting to come out of me ...but...luckily...the receptionist interjected and informed she could get me in right away to see another doctor or I should go to the ER considering how bad it sounded.

As much as I hate doctors, I hate ER's more.  I took the office visit.

So now I had to run around, take a shower and run over there -

Damn, someone has to pay for this! 


I get there and all I could think to myself was "in and out...just in....see the infection Doc? now give me the meds and let me go....in and out!" 




I had the spiel down in my head...I wasn't going to sit and answer a battery of questions about my childhood hospitalizations and all the surgeries I've had - not going there...wasn't going to do it.

Yes ---the anxiety attitude was building - I was working myself up and managed to do so into a full fledged anxiety attack.

Great - now I look like an idiot on top of everything else...get me out of here! 


The nurse went about her routine - I told her she didn't have to - that there was no need for it. She looked at me like a puppy dog ....you know the look - a confused puppy dog tilt of the head. huh?


I explained that my pulse would be chaotic that I was in the midst of a full fledged anxiety attack -

"But, you look calm - you look like you don't feel good but you look calm,"she said.

I told her to trust me, that I was a PRO at these things - "been at it for years!" 


She didn't listen...they never do - but she did confirm.."Wow, you are having an anxiety attack."

I felt like asking her if she was Watson or a twice removed cousin of Sherlock ....I refrained.

It's not her fault they don't prepare nursing students for attitudes like mine.

 Did I mention I hate doctors? Not the person ...just the experience.

Well the doctor was next to enter - I think he could tell I was in no mood - I rattled off all the answers to the questions he was forming in his head...past medical history - present condition...and yeah, I know I need to get those other things checked...I'll get around to it....answers.

He confirmed what I had self diagnosed myself as having during my ride over there - a severe sinus infection that caused an infection in my salivary gland (parotid gland to be exact)  - hence my face swelling up ...looking like it had exploded and was causing my pain in the jaw (did I mention I have a high tolerance...so when I say pain ...I MEAN PAIN!)

I was placed on some strong antibiotics - gave me some Xanax for that anxiety (I'll sleep good tonight) and told me to rest ...(HA! Like that's going to happen!)

He asked me if I could find my way out of the office back to the main clinic...

"Are you kidding me??....thanks...BYE!"

Off to get my meds...and back home to get back to work. ...

When I walked into my house ...I noticed an odd odor - it smelled lemon fresh -

Kyle was mopping....

Justin was cleaning....


"You looked pretty bad when you left so we thought we should clean," said one of them...which one I am still not sure....I was too stunned to notice.


"Wait, you thought I was dying and THAT's why you finally cleaned?"

And that was my day......yours?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th