Skip to main content

Being strong is not always what you think

This past weekend I had a long discussion with my son Kyle. A discussion that quite literally lasted two days. He told me that sometimes he wished he had my strength, that I am Superwoman in his eyes. He wanted some of my backbone....etc..

"You can handle anything life throws at you, mom," he said.

Here's the truth many people seen as strong don't always speak about. We're scared as hell. The outside world may see us as a tower of strength, but inside we're just as fragile, just as vulnerable,  as anyone else who walks this Earth.


We have feelings.
We cry. 
We have self-doubt.
We're fearful of failure. 
We sometimes get angry that we need to be strong all the time.
We are often tired and need a break more than anyone will ever know. 

When you're a woman seen as a strong or confident personality there is extra added pressure on you - plus, then there are the labels that get assigned to you - bitch is at the top of the list. You're often the target for gossip and rumors. You will have haters. That is a given.

I get told all the time that I am a rock. I try to explain that really I am just a pile of pebbles contained within a hard shell. Those pebbles are my life experiences, the lessons I have lived through and learned from.  They've gathered together to help hold me up when I think I am about to fall.

I've been that meek girl. So damn shy I'd rather stay home than go out in public in fear that someone would talk to me, say something about me. I didn't want to attend my bridal shower nor my first baby shower. I didn't want to be the center of attention.  I once lived in a state of constant self-hate. When I looked in the mirror I saw everything wrong about me and nothing right. I was repulsed by my own reflection.

It has taken me a long time to get to where I am today. Many years of self-reflection. Many years of working through those horrid memories and accepting my life, all those things I lived through - knowing that once I was a victim, many times over. It is humbling to realize that during those years I set myself up for more victimization. I had to take ownership for my life - everything that happened, even the mistakes I made before I started to realize my worth.

So, really, is it strength or is it I know I deserve to go after living rather than surviving?

The conversation with my son was deep - we dug into quite a bit.

It was a hard conversation to have, especially since right now I am in a transitional period of my life. A time in which I am feeling quite vulnerable, far from strong. I walked away from a job that was sucking the life out of me, quite literally. I could feel it all taking a toll on my health. I was extremely unhappy, working long hours for less pay than people realize. When I walked away it was quite public because when I did, the paper closed their doors. Yes, it was epic.

I walked away and jumped into a rather shaky safety net, one woven together with hopes and dreams. I am sure many would say I was stupid for taking that leap, they could be right.  Time will tell.

Hearing him say he wished he had my backbone and strength was hard to take in - especially since some of those old self-doubts have been fighting to move back in - yes, there's been a battle.

What he doesn't realize is right now I am doing the exact same thing he is - shooting for some dreams. Going after what I feel I was destined to do, finishing up that When I Became Free project. Wondering if people will actually want to hear my story, will anyone come to my speaking engagements? Will they think I am full of myself? Am I going to be able to pay my bills or will I end up in my car? Was...am...I an old fool?

If anything, he was my example of strength to follow when at 18 he packed up that crappy van he had with hardly any money in his pockets and moved to Memphis with his friend and brother in tow. All of them young, broke, and living for their dreams. His dream is a career in music. His accomplishments since that move have been remarkable and what is on the horizon for him, will be breathtaking. It is obvious to all who have been watching him grow.

So, he sees me as strong but I see me as following in his footsteps, I just don't know if I have his talent and strength to see it through.

Being strong is not always what you think.....


Thank you goes out to my friend Bunny who recorded my Baby Boy performing this old gospel song last weekend when he came home to perform at a benefit. Everything Happens for a Reason! ;)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th