Skip to main content

Shame Shifting - Society's Dysfunction #WhenIBecameFree

"You need to forgive him and let him see the kids! He's not a mass murderer!" 

Those were the words of one of my siblings to me - they came via a phone call about 5 years ago. They hit me like a punch to the gut. The "him" was my ex-husband who was sitting in prison for 8 years on a plea agreement conviction of 2nd Degree Sexual Assault/Use of Force and Battery. Both under the modifier of domestic abuse as a repeat offender. Crimes committed against me and in front of our children.

Immediately I found myself trying to explain how I wasn't keeping him away from the children, the prison and his probation agent was. I can remember shaking like a leaf, even though anger was building in me - two sides of me battling, the once victim vs the healing survivor.

I didn't know then there was a term for what I was experiencing and what that sibling did to me, I did know it was wrong and I felt betrayed by a member of my own family and it wasn't the first time.

SHAME SHIFTING

Author Lilly Hope Lucario describes Shame Shifting as the following:

"A common occurrence in society. Prolific behavior within dysfunctional/disordered/toxic families. A much-utilized tool for spiritual abuse by many church/religious people.  I see this all very clearly.
I’ve always ‘known’ instinctively how wrong this is. Always felt it. But, didn’t have the understanding or ability to put words to it. 
I do now.

Shame is about feeling like a bad person. Being made to feel like a bad person. Abuse survivors, do not need to be abused further, by being shamed. Abuse survivors, did not have a choice when abused. The abuser, did have a choice.

Shame shifting is common with those who demand forgiveness for abusers. And claim those who don’t forgive their abusers, are the ‘bad people’. Shame shifting from abuser, to victim.

Shame shifting is common with those who demand ‘compassion’ for abusers. And claim those who don’t have compassion, are the ‘bad people’. Shame shifting from abuser, to victim.

Shame shifting is common with those who demand abuse should not be exposed and the victim should keep quiet. And claim those who do speak up, and do expose the evil of abuse, are the ‘bad people’. Shame shifting from abuser, to victim."
Looking back to my childhood I know now that I grew up in an environment where Shame Shifting was a daily occurrence. Anyone who grows up in an alcoholic family or under some other dysfunction knows it too well.  

If that is you, then you know you're taught to walk on eggshells. You know that after an incident fingers are pointed to whoever was victimized, "You should just keep your mouth shut!"... "You know you shouldn't speak when they've been drinking!"..."It is your fault they exploded!" 

If you're like me, then you also understand how easy it is to take the blame when you're a partner in an emotionally and/or physically abusive relationship and how you will do anything you can to change your own behaviors in an attempt to prevent the abuser from blowing up. Should an incident happen, you absorb and blame yourself, because somehow you feel you are to blame. If your husband says, "You're the reason I drink!" or "You made me hit you!" - you are more than willing to take on the guilt, the blame, and the shame. 

Rarely does society shift blame on victims for stranger upon stranger crimes. Imagine if in the still of the night there was a break-in, and the person home was beaten and raped - would the headlines read, "Being Home Suspected Cause of Brutal Attack" 

We shift shame mainly when the abuser is family and the victim is vulnerable.  It is a way for society to make excuses for all those nightmares that happen behind closed doors, an excuse not to deal with it all in placing accountability. 

We force "you must forgive" upon people who are not ready, who are still figuring out what happened in the first place. And, because someone said it was the "right" thing to do. 

We give more breathing room and place less responsibility on the abusers than we do for the victims working on being survivors. 

This shifting of shame will continue until those of us who know better tell our stories, claim our freedom, and guide others to do so. 

Take it from me, When I Spoke Up and Shared My Story is #WhenIBecameFree. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th