Savannah's Journey - #WhenIBecameFree

Earlier today I sat down with a young survivor of child sexual assault and a rape facilitated by the date rape drug. Her name is Savannah and this wasn't the first time I heard her story. I met her a few months ago when I did an article on mental health awareness. Savannah told her story to me then, but at the time we kept her identity confidential, this time she's claiming her story.

Savannah is in the early years of her healing journey and like most survivors at that stage that I have met, shares the frustration with wanting to get it over with as quickly as possible. One of the hardest hurdles to tackle while healing is learning patience, patience with yourself. It took me many years to be able to step back a bit and give up control. I had to learn to trust and love myself, even today there are times I still struggle with that issue of trust. I have no doubt Savannah will get to that point, she's already claiming her story, sharing her journey, and willing to allow her life experience inspire others while also letting them know they are not alone. She has a lot to be proud of!

To follow is a glimpse into the conversation Savannah and I had this afternoon. Her energy is infectious! Her smile and laughter are adorable, even though, as a survivor I know sometimes it is to cover some of that pain and shame she is still learning to let go of and give back to her abusers.

Take a look and know that her story will be told in greater detail later, when I have completed the #WhenIBecameFree project. Every day, and with every new survivor, we are getting closer and closer to ending that chapter. Where it takes us, time will tell.

Also, please realize, that Savannah is so very courageous as not only is she sharing her story with all of us, but she does so while living in a small rural community....again...a place where everyone THINKS they know everything about everyone else.  Time to shatter those stigmas and air out those dark closets where so many of us have hidden our tales, those nightmares of child sexual assault, domestic violence, and rape.

Thank you, Savannah!






SUPPORT WHEN I BECAME FREE!
Support the #WhenIBecameFree project by wearing awareness! For every shirt sold, $10 will go to support the project - getting it completed, published and distributed.  Shirts may be purchased here. If you're local to Juneau County, just email me and I will send you an invoice w/o a shipping charge.

Any and all donations are welcome!

Any way you choose to support this effort is greatly appreciated! Even if it is just sharing my blog, the website, or liking and sharing the Facebook page.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget