Skip to main content

Remembering the burden - emotional abuse

Ok, so you better get used to this - as I walk the #WhenIBecameFree project journey, there may be days where I feel the need to write more than one post a day. Hearing all the stories will no doubt bring back some memories.

Just a little while ago I was walking the aisles at my local grocery store. I was trying to figure out something to make myself for dinner when all of a sudden I had a flashback memory cross my mind. I left for the store right after posting my last blog.

I think the reason for the flashback was because I was thinking about all the physical abuse the victim endured, and I wondered about the emotional abuse that I didn't know about. Describing physical attacks can create a visual in the readers' mind and will more than likely get their attention to keep them reading. But often it is the emotional abuse domestic violence victims sustain that keep them frozen in place. One word kept playing over and over in my head, "burden."

I hate that word. I'd much rather be called a bitch than a burden. It was a word my ex-husband and his family of alcoholics threw my way many of a day. It was a word I even heard my mother use against my father when his illness kept them from selling our home and moving from Illinois to New Mexico. She called him and his health a burden.

Perhaps I am also thinking about it all now because much like the days when my ex-husband at one time used it against me,  my health has been dictating my life -what I can do and what I cannot do.

When I was 22 years old we planned a large formal Catholic wedding. I knew full well I was marrying an alcoholic. There had already been some physical abuse towards me that I excused away despite having to wear a turtleneck in the middle of summer to hide the hand shaped bruises around my neck.  When he left those marks there it was during an alcohol-induced blackout. The next day he denied doing it, even though his fingers were perfectly outlined around my neck. Every time he saw the black and blue marks he would get mad and his denials would get louder. Keeping my neck covered until it healed was easier than listening to his denials.

Despite all of that I was still eager to marry him, I loved him - I understood where his flaws came from as he was once a child growing up in an alcoholic family. At one point in his early childhood his parents sent him to live with friends because they couldn't afford childcare and work at the same time, or so that was the story he was told. I understood his wounds to the point of excusing the wounds he left on me. The deepest of which was the emotional wounds.

That formal Catholic wedding ended up being a jaunt to Las Vegas and earlier than we had planned. The reason for this was I needed insurance to be able to have a surgery. It was a surgery to repair an incisional hernia from when I had my spleen removed. There were actually three areas along that incision running from just below my cleavage down to my navel that needed to be repaired with wire and mesh. Every time I coughed my chest would balloon out with three large bumps. Thankfully when I did see the doctor for it the first time, he didn't officially diagnose it - he knew I didn't have insurance and was planning on getting married, afterwards I would be insured under my husband's plan from work - he didn't want the condition I was suffering from to be labeled "pre-existing. "

The large wedding was canceled - there were more important things to take care of, me.

We had to wait two months after getting married before the insurance kicked in. We were at his parents' house a week or so before my surgery. His father, his brothers and him had all been drinking to excess. It was a typical day for them. Somehow my surgery got brought up and his father went on and on about how my husband had to "deal" with such a burden of a wife right off the bat.

Later that night when we were home at our apartment and in a drunken stupor, my husband went off on me on how I was going to be a burden. The surgery I needed and the time off I would need from work to recover, 6 weeks, was a burden to him and I should count my blessings he married me.

The surgery came and went, but those scars were the emotional foundation of abuse in our marriage.  Ever since then when I hear the word burden, I cringe. The wound is deep.

So as you read the stories of life from the survivors, remember that every time physical abuse is described, there is already deep wounds from emotional abuse absorbing the hits.  I know that for me, while I can remember those handprint bruises around my neck, the image no longer causes me pain, but that word burden still does.




Support the When I Became Project




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th