Skip to main content

False Security....


"Well, you should just get a restraining order against him, and that will end it!"

Don't let comments such as that give you a false sense of security!! Restraining orders, while they do serve a good purpose if properly issued, and utilized, they will not save you from an offender who is out of control. Please remember that and make sure you take other steps to keep yourself safe.

In my case, orders of protection and "no contact" meant nothing to my abuser. If anything they served to give him something to aim his anger at and a reason to take it out on me -

I had to make sure I had other things lined up for my own security...and since I didn't have a lot to work with, that meant I made sure to remember the little things....like...

STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN WHEN AROUND THE OFFENDER!!! (it's an arsenal in there!)
Know the exits around you
Keep "supplies" handy if needed to grab and run (money, id, important papers)
Keep porch lights on at night
Keep all outside lights on at night
Keep doors locked
Have friends keep an eye on you and your place
Above all, stay calm

For me I also made sure I had a recording device in all the rooms I used frequently. I did so because of another fear I had at the time, that something would happen to me, and he would get away with it. By the time I had gotten to that point we had spent almost two years in that constant cycle of abuse...police....slap on the wrist....abuse ....police....slap on the wrist....abuse...etc..etc..etc..

He walked around with the attitude he was above the law...after all he "knew how to manipulate the system!"

So yes, I kept a recording device near me as I didn't trust him, nor did I trust the justice system. (one day I will tell those stories!)

Restraining orders are fickle things and depending on who you are and where you live may make the world of difference if you are issued one or not. After all it's up to the judge unless like in my cases there was already an order of no contact due to the nature of his crimes.

Last week I read an article about a woman in Florida, Alissa Benton - Benton was a 23 yr old woman who was gunned down by a an older man who had been stalking her for years. Her murder came just after she attempted to get a restraining order on the offender, but the judge denied it. In an article on her murder and the failed attempt of the restraining order, Benton had been reported to have told the judge:

"I moved to Orlando to be closer to a new job, and he began showing up there and e-mailing about seeing me," she wrote. "I reported it. Then I got married and moved back to Brevard County, and letters are coming and stalking here also."

The article goes on to say:

In other e-mails, he allegedly called Blanton a "tramp" and a "whore" and made comments about her weight.

"You are the poster girl for 'beauty is only skin deep,'" reads one of the e-mails

The only reason Benton knew this man is because he at one time was a customer of hers at a restaurant she worked at.

The judge hearing the case didn't feel like there was enough "dire need" for the order of protection...aka...restraining order.

Her attempt at attaining that order, and then the failed results ended up giving the mad man in her life reason to shoot her.

Then I know personally of stories where orders of protection were given over the slightest of threats, or just for the mere fact people had "words" with each other. I've seen people use them as a tool to get people they don't care for out of their lives...I seen them be used to abuse someone.

So while I may have mixed feelings on restraining orders, there is one thing I think every advocate out there would say about them - DON'T LET THEM GIVE YOU A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY!

Take other steps to keep yourself safe...

Contact an advocate and get advice individual to your situation...

If you don't know where to turn...start here.......










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th