Skip to main content

Big John Saves Christmas from Covid in Mauston, Wisconsin

               

    A former Marine at well over six feet tall, John Hamm can be an imposing figure. Big John as he is called by many is a well known business owner who has been and is active in his community, including having served on the county board. When his presence enters the room, heads turn. Some, who don't know him well, may suggest he is intimidating, but those of us who have seen him in action know him as a man whose heart is as large as his presence. 


        I first learned of John in 2002 and soon after I moved from the northwest burbs of Chicago to Mauston - a small county seat town in the very rural south central region of Wisconsin. Back then I would call you crazy if you told me that over the years the two of us would earn each other's respect and be able to carry on a civil conversation as I was very active in the local county democrats and he, was very active in the county's republican party.  It would take a few years but what brought us together as friends was something, in spite of our political opinions, we shared- our love for community and making sure those with the greatest and truest needs did not get locked out - love thy neighbor, a value we were both taught and cherished. 

        Two years ago I moved away from Mauston to join my sons in Memphis but via social media I still keep tabs on my friends back in Juneau County, Wisconsin. Needless to say knowing what I know about John, I wasn't surprised when I saw the following post: 

Well The COVID CANCEL Gremlins have struck again. Our Mauston Toys for Joy program that provided toys for 133 families...

Posted by John Hamm on Saturday, October 31, 2020

    Immediately I knew that post would lead to an organized effort, and it would be one that would bring a community together for the children in the spirit of Christmas. I was right and while I was going through my drama here in Memphis watching it all unfold back up in Mauston made my heart smile. I knew John, the Marine he still is, would see it through and the children will be smiling on Christmas morning. 

   


John has all the tools he needs to make it a success; his presence, his stubbornness to see a challenge through, and a successful business he could use as a vehicle for organizing and promotion -Wisconsin River Meats. 

    Before I knew it the posts and the outreach started and people were jumping on board, including Kathy Green from the Mauston Community Sharing Pantry. 


    "I outlined a plan and we executed it. Daves wife Carrie Mauer and my assistant Denise Wee did most of the legwork.

     Kathy provided us with age and gender and wants of the kids and a bunch of us, mostly Carrie and Denise , but me too, we bought personal things for lots of the kids. Surprisingly we had lots of requests for fishing and art gear and we made a mass purchase of Art kits and fishing gear and got a bunch donated.  I even held my nose and bought Bears gear for a kid," stated John during a chat I had with him earlier today. 

   


John went on to state: "I reached out to my friends  and business partners , my close crew and they quickly came through. I estimated we would need 7k to get gifts for 200. We quickly collected tons of awesome toys and more $$$$ than we could imagine -we ended up with 5 pallets of donated toys and over double the cash we needed! Area businesses were great, and individuals brought tons of stuff. Personal, like the potato farmer who brought an armful of Mr Potato heads and Mike Taake an armful of handmade fishing rods.

    We picked 220 individual toy orders and hauled them to the Sharing Pantry and handed them out.  We had extra cash so we gave each family a Festival Foods Gift Card - we still have some left, we are trying to get some of that to Lyndon (a nearby community), we are trying to seal the deal and Kathy has some late folks." 


As for the distribution of those toys which recently took place, John explained: "I was actually in Kansas City helping my daughter with an event that had been planned in September. So,  all the Kudos for execution go to my staff and Kathy and her staff."

I asked John what motivated him to do all of this, what was in him that drove him - to that question he replied: "I was very involved as a young Marine in the late 70s and 80s in Toys for Tots in Madison which was an eye opening experience. I was involved in carrying the toys around and distribution. It was eye popping to see the very few ungrateful jerks that came thru, a small but memorable percentage. Before I could get mad a salty vet and social worker said don't worry about it we do it for the kids. For some reason that stuck.

   I have donated to Toys for Joy for years and always enjoyed giving John Deere and farm toys. 

   Early this fall I heard many Toy drives were struggling and USMC Toys for Tots was spread thin filling the gaps. Then I got a letter from Toys for Joy (Mauston, WI) they were canceling. I realized I had barely enough to pull something off. So, I put an angry post on FaceBook and got some helpful responses and offers of help.

It was unacceptable to me that our area disadvantaged kids would have Christmas canceled by Covid."

According to John he plans on making sure that in future years there will always be a safety net in place for the children to know they were not forgotten on Christmas: "After the 1st of the Year I am reaching out to Mauston community leaders so this is never ever a problem again. The qualifying of who gets toys need to be a Social Service or Charitable organization function." 

Merry Christmas!

and remember - 

Love Thy Neighbor!


Click the coffee cup to donate to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th