Skip to main content

"Who Needs A/C?? - When I was a kid...."


My boys look at me with blank looks on their sweaty faces as I take a walk down memory lane recalling summers of my childhood and not having the luxury of air conditioning.


Justin announces - "People died back then from heat stroke, MOM!" -


"Only the stupid, weak, old or vulnerable" - I countered.


As I am sure you can gather my a/c is still broke, and will remain that way until next summer - the economy, and my pathetic bank account has seen to that.


Luckily, this summer here in Wisconsin has been cooler than normal. We had one week in July where it got rather warmer than normal, but since that time we've enjoyed a mild, "doable", summer - A summer with nice cool evening breezes- so much so there have been a few nights I had to close the windows.....


Well......


That's over!


Last night the boys and I camped out in our family room...me on the couch, and they laid out on blankets piled to cushion the floor. The three fans we have were positioned around us to create what we hoped would be a cross breeze.


Yesterday evening and after a rather warm humid day, the temp. in the house not only felt warmer than during the daytime hours, but the humidity levels outside and in were just NASTY! Sweltering moisture.


Sleep did not come easy at all. At least not for Justin and I. Kyle who was originally suppose to spend the night at a friend's house, walked in unannounced just before 10 p.m....cranky, hot, and bossy. He had one of his headaches - so out came the allergy medicine which facilitated Kyle passing out in front of the fan as he complained about the heat and Justin making too much noise.


I try to remember what it was actually like being a kid back in the early 70's and not having any air conditioning - and I am drawing a blank. A complete blank. I do remember spending a lot of time at Davis Street beach in Evanston and having a killer tan - but other than that...nothing.


I do remember our top and third floor apartment in the building we lived on Washington Ave having many windows.....windows that went from just about the floor to the high ceilings in the Victorian era building.....and how when you looked outside those windows at you saw was green from the trees that lined the street outside.....Evanston is after all known as a "tree city. "


Yes, plenty of shade, and breeze as Lake Michigan was within walking distance from our apartment...


I better not tell the boys about that - they might protest.


"We only have about a month to get through boys - four weeks or so and the cooler weather will be on it's way back in..."


That didn't seem to work -


Oh well, they will have stories to tell their children now.... "When I was a kid..."

As I write this on my blog this morning, my children are sprawled out on the floor next to me, soundly sleeping.....even though they are no longer small - Justin is taller than me and Kyle has those broad shoulders and frame of my father - as they sleep they still look like those innocent babies I once rocked for hours.....


I'm going to hate to have to tell them we may not be able to go swimming this afternoon because this hot humid weather we're having may spawn some severe storms and a possible tornado ....


But one bright side is tonight it will cool off for a bit.....


Think they will buy that one?












Comments

Just Be Real said…
Oh man, so very sorry for the no a/c. I was a child growing up in the 60's and we had no a/c and living in a warm climate all year round, I do remember sweating! Ugh.

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th