Skip to main content

Christmas "Clues" Eve....








This  weekend I was feeling like a child - a child that couldn't stand the wait until Christmas. The anticipation of seeing the magic that takes place in a child's eye. The reason for this is because of the month of "Christmas Clues" the children and I have received. My curiosity was getting the best of me, and it felt like Christmas would never come. I just knew the week would drag and the days would be long....really...I didn't think I could stand the wait.


On Monday I went to the Lend a Hand office asthere were toys to be distributed and people to help. Another volunteer was going to be there, Kris...and I thought we would have time to start working on the protocol so we could start bringing in other volunteers to train.......

Time was something we didn't have.....
The phone started ringing off the hook......
The buzzer to our back door entrance rang so much it started sounding like a holiday tune...

The need was so great - the need for toys for children who weren't going to have a Christmas present under the tree....the need for clients we were already working with and providing shelter for....and then the need to find shelter for the man who had his house foreclosed on and was living out of his car ---need was everywhere!

Every time the phone rang...
Each time the buzzer sounded...
Was an alarm going off telling us someone needed us to Lend a Hand

Kris and I never really got a chance to connect on the things we needed to work on, as both of us was busy throughout the day helping people.
By the time I left the office I was exhausted but I was grateful to be able to go home to a place I could call my own. I was dreading the evening as I had to cover a school board meeting for the Messenger. This meant it would be a long evening...sitting in a small conference room....trying to take notes....trying to key in on something that readers would want to know...want to read about.

Needless to say covering school board and city council meetings are not my favorite thing. They're usually emotionless, technical, and "just the facts ma'am" - UGH!
I get home to rush around making sure the kids are fed, and all their needs are taken care of...

And then it happens....my phone rings off the hook.
A drama is about to take place, and one that I really wished never would have happened...
(those details aren't important as the drama is now over, but damn it set my mood for the next 24 hours!)

So, as I was in the midst of learning about the drama and as I was dreading going out to that school board meeting,  I had 2 phones ringing off the hook - my home phone and the cell phone for Lend a Hand - I had a message waiting for me on my voicemail....

"This is Holly Jingles from Christmas Clues. We're trying to get a hold of you - We'll call back later"....

So...just imagine my face as I try to take in everything...the stress...the worry...the dread...and then

"Who in the hell is Holly Jingles?"

Within seconds of listening to that message I was back fielding phone calls...dealing with drama...preparing for the school board meeting, and also for what I just learned would be the DEADLINE DAY FROM HELL!

Tears were starting to form in the corners of my eyes....I fought them back....
And then...yes, once again....then...the phone rings...
UNKNOWN CALLER is on my caller id...
"This better not be a bill collector!" ...is all I could think....
"This is Holly Jingles from the North Pole and Christmas Clues..............What is your favorite pizza?"
"My favorite pizza? Well the kids like sausage and pepperoni."
"What is your favorite pop?"
I knew I had better answer that one right...I mean if I didn't say Justin's favorite there would be hell to pay!

"Mountain Dew"

"Thank you, Merry Christmas" (or something like that)
"Who in the he....." (click -they hung up)

Okie dokie -well that was that!

Back to the drama, back to the dread, however always in the back of my mind I was wondering what in the hell is going on?!?!

I get ready and run to that school board meeting. The conference room was filled. Not an empty chair in sight. June from the radio station was standing in the doorway to the room and she didn't look too happy. I knew this was going to be a long meeting and one where now I had to stand and take notes....UGH!

BTW...if anyone in a position to do something about where those meetings are held ...is reading this....C'mon....change the venue! That room is stuffy and often there is nowhere to sit - how many libraries and auditoriums are there in that school district?????? 

Can you tell I am stressed this week?

After attending the meeting, I get home and collapse. I was dreading the next day -Tuesday. That DEADLINE DAY FROM HELL!

I wake up on Tuesday and prepare for the DEADLINE DAY FROM HELL I rush out of my house...running late as usual....and then when I get to the trial that I thought I would have to sit in all day long - find out it is being postponed..YIPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I return home - feeling better and thankful I would now have some time to actually sit, time to think and to write the articles I needed to get into my editor.
Plus now I have some real time, and a clear head to handle some of that drama that occurred the day before...

So..........
While typing away....
While talking on the phone....
My call waiting rings............
It goes to voicemail..................
When I get a chance I check the message...........
And sure enough.......

It's that Holly Jingles person...................
The pizza will be waiting in the lobby at 5:oo on Christmas Eve....
And if you're not sure what that means....well read about the Christmas Clues!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th