Skip to main content

Domestic violence in small communities

Reporting and seeking justice in domestic violence criminal cases is a cold and emotionally trying endeavor for any survivor. Survivors from small rural communities face an extra hurdle, everywhere they turn someone has an opinion about them and the judgments fly.

When I went through that process I had hard evidence- over an hour-long audio recording of the assault - even so, I found myself trying to prove my case through a barrier of judgments, even from strangers.

Word gets around rather quickly in these small communities - and by the time that word reaches most ears the message has been twisted and contorted a hundred times over.

On top of that, there are the families. The generations of the victim's and the abuser's families who call that same community home. Add in their friends and co-workers, and you more than likely can imagine the lines drawn in the sand. Everyone feels like they have a stake in that nightmare scenario of domestic abuse.

In my case, I didn't have the families to worry about, I was alone with my children when I went down the path of justice.  I count my blessings on that one.

According to the Rural Health Information Hub website: "In rural communities, survivors of abuse and violence face unique challenges due to the same elements that often stop them from reporting the abuse initially. The community or cultural understanding of the roles of women, close or familial connections of law enforcement or criminal justice figures, geographic isolation or remoteness, lack of access to education or social services, the higher risk of being socially isolated, and other issues play a role in how a survivor will be supported in a rural area. Community conversation and cooperation are important factors in establishing and maintaining survivor support."

Every hidden agenda people may have, comes out to play. Fingers are pointed, reputations are questioned...created, and shame weighs heavier on the victims, especially the children who may have been involved and/or witnessed people they love get harmed.

The isolation is bitter, it is harsh and it is real. It is a wonder why victims don't leave? Why they may not report the crimes to the police? Why, if they do follow through, their healing process is delayed or sometimes never even gets off the ground? A lot of times they will latch on to another abuser, who at first comes to their rescue as a form of protection.

Life turns into a free for all. A circus to pass the time of nothing else to do. A diversion for some who should really be paying attention to their own life, behind closed doors.  In turn, the revictimization can be overwhelming and stretches to every person who loves and supports that victim...and even the abuser.

It creates a dangerous, volatile environment - someone can and will get hurt.

Couple that with lack of services and funding cuts to existing services the hope for that survivor dims even more.

Then there is the justice system. Unfortunately, most first and second-time offenders end up with a slap on the wrist. This usually only serves to embolden them, anger them even more with the "how dare she think she would get me."

Restraining orders are great for documentation purposes but they also can add to the silent rage building within an abuser.

Now imagine trying to rebuild a life in such an environment, picking up those shattered pieces while trying to heal from the abuse, past abuses that led you to such a relationship, and comments of "get over it."

Then there are the family courts. Abusers love to use them to revictimize their targets. Hearing after hearing, and often times with the same judge that oversaw the criminal hearing and might be so and so's neighbor.

If a victim leaves the abuse and steps out into such a world, they do so in a constant state of survival.
There will be lack of sleep, loss hours at work if they can find it, spinning thoughts and a constant maze of trying to avoid their PTSD triggers....with all eyes watching...all ears listening...and all mouths gossiping.

Their children will go to school in very much of the same environment. Those most innocent beings will face the same gossip, the same comments and all while they try to keep everyone they love happy - that's all children ever want - to be loved.

By the time those children are teenagers their anger will be real. Their pain will show in one way, shape or form. They may attempt to hide it as they lock themselves away in their room, they may try to slice it away as they cut themselves, they may try to numb it with drugs and/or alcohol, they may lash out at others for no apparent reason and only because they know no other form of communication for the emotions they are feeling, and sadly, some, may decide it is just not worth living in a world where they don't feel they matter or believe they are a burden.

If they make it past those teen years without their emotional needs addressed...they more than likely
will follow the steps their parents took ...and so the cycle not only continues but also grows.

And then we're back to everyone in that small community feeling like they have a right to judge...to gossip...to condemn.

So the next time you ask someone, especially someone from a small community why they just don't leave, ask yourself how you would even start the process with all these barriers in place. Also, then look in that mirror and ask yourself what role you have played in feeding the cycle...even if it was just standing on the sidelines, chatting with friends, as you ate your imginary popcorn watching that real life show.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes