Skip to main content

Mental Illness and Suicide - stop exploiting the victims


This is something that has been on my mind lately - and I just feel a need to vent it all out...I apologize if it sounds a bit disjointed.

After decades of advocates pushing for awareness about and of mental illness, mental health, and suicide prevention, lately, I've been noticing a shift - a push back to stigmas of yesteryear. It almost feels like big pharma and ancient attitudes are having a psychological war while those who really need the help and attention are in the center, being pulled apart.

If you go to the doctor and mention you've been a little sad and down or anxious, more than likely you're walking out with a prescription for anti-depressants and Xanax. If you happen to catch a sermon you may hear how there's no such thing as mental illness, and that it is the devil at work - just pray more and give your life over to and follow Jesus. I've actually heard words like that a couple of times within the last few months. It took everything inside me to sit still and bite my tongue - maybe I should not have stayed quiet.

All of this is a reflection of the division in our country - the divisions along political party lines, race, gender, and religions. We've turned into an all or nothing society - all segments are preaching either march lockstep or be left behind. I fear we're heading into a modern dark age and there is no going back unless those in the middle of the battles walk away from social media short attention spans and actually do something about it all.

Yes, I believe we live in an overdiagnosed pill-popping world.
I believe we've gotten soft in that every pain or rite of passage now is considered treatable with medication- knee-jerk reactions of get that runny nose into a doctor.

We've have got to wake up or else we are going to fall off that cliff from a world out of balance.

Mental illness is as real as tonsilitis. It needs to be treated but just like throwing a handful of pills at every sore throat a person may have doesn't necessarily mean those tonsils were infected in the first place.

It is the same as you wouldn't tell a person in the middle of a heart-attack just to pray without trying to get them medical assistance.

Balance, we've lost sight of seeking a balance.

Words are important. The messages leaders put out there can bring about death or save lives. But lately, it is my opinion, most of the leaders getting all the attention - be they political, religious, or otherwise - are self-serving with the almighty dollar providing the script coming out of their mouths. The more followers they have, the more money they take in... A vicious cycle of true evil.

So, let's talk about a topic people would rather not face, I tend to like those types of topics - mental illness and better yet, mental health.

According to the American Psychiatric Society:

Mental illnesses are health conditions involving changes in thinking, emotion or behavior (or a combination of these). Mental illnesses are associated with distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities.

Mental illness is common. In a given year:

nearly one in five (19 percent) U.S. adults experience some form of mental illness
one in 24 (4.1 percent) has a serious mental illness
one in 12 (8.5 percent) has a substance use disorder*
Mental illness is treatable. The vast majority of individuals with mental illness continue to function in their daily lives.

Mental illness does not discriminate; it can affect anyone regardless of your age, gender, income, social status, race/ethnicity, religion/spirituality, sexual orientation, background or other aspect of cultural identity. While mental illness can occur at any age, three-fourths of all mental illness begins by age 24.

Mental illnesses take many forms. Some are fairly mild and only interfere in limited ways with daily life, such as certain phobias (abnormal fears). Other mental health conditions are so severe that a person may need care in a hospital.

There are many different types of mental illness - too many to list. The brain is a rather complex organ, much of which is yet to be understood.

Suicide is often the final symptom that someone has been suffering from mental illness. Much like cancer left untreated,  mental illness, without proper medical intervention, can- in fact- kill.

As for Mental Health...

 Praying can be beneficial and strengthen the will of someone who has faith in a higher power, but to suggest it will cure their illness altogether does a disservice much like prescribing pills do for a person experiencing a bad day. Again, this is only my opinion.

Sure, I am a person who believes in miracles and believes I have witnessed more than a few. I've been known to pray and gear those prayers of good health to St. Padre Pio. I learned about him when I was young and constantly ill, I felt a bond because as a child, he too, was chronically ill.

I understand that not everyone holds the same faith I do - mine is one that cannot be summarized by the doctrine of any one religion. It has come with age and years of personal soul searching from the unique experiences in my life including being raised as a Catholic to appreciating and finding bonds in other belief systems. I guess you could call it a melting pot of hope.

And for those who may not own a faith of their own...Having a strong support system is valuable to anyone dealing with an illness. Knowing that others care about your existence and that you are loved, can and does aid in healing.

For anyone who knowingly suggests leaving a severe condition untreated without medical intervention, saying it is the work of the devil or 'just' in someone's head, places a crown of shame on someone who is ill especially when there is no improvement, even after all those prayers.

Unfortunately, with mental illness, that stigma is felt by the entire family and often carries over into future generations.  How many families do you know out there who refuse to talk about a relative who took their own life or was committed away to a mental institution? I know quite a few.

And that, to me, is not only silly but is why those with mental illness are exploited by both religion (some) and big pharma. They're vulnerable and quite frankly, innocent victims many would like to forget about.

Could this be why there is no real outrage or real coverage about all the resources being cut to actually help those experiencing a mental health condition? Google it and find out just exactly what is happening. 

Society, wake up - we're turning our backs on our neighbors and loved ones - placing their future into the hands of evil, those too greedy with agendas to actually care.

Balance - we need balance.

If you are someone experiencing crisis and need support please take advantage of the many talk lines - including Your Life Your Voice

There is also the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline -  1-800-273-8255


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget

Daniel A. Woolverton The picture above is of a West Point graduate (Class of 1997) who went on to have a military career that most men at one time were little boys dreaming about as they played with their G.I. Joe's and Army Men. A sweet face, I am sure as a mother, his own mother worried about his safety every waking moment while he was enlisted.   This is him - that same once good looking - waiting to to take on the world, young man. Life has taken a toll, that is obvious - at first glance you might think that the horrors his eyes seen as a former JAG officer eventually led him down the path of self medication and drug abuse. His soul appears to be lost behind those eyes - Truth is, after reading and taking what I have learned since receiving an email today to his story- He never had a soul - at least one with a conscience to begin with.  The headline in the email asking to me to consider telling this story on this blog read: NEWS:  Disbarred US Arm