Skip to main content

Living the dream....lifting each other up

Rebecca meeting Mauston's K9 Unit -
 Officer Sanner and Kantor (now retired)
This past summer I met a young woman who reminded me of my own dreams and once ambitions.
Her name is Rebecca, she prefers Becca.
She calls France her home.
She is a cinema student with a loving spirit.
A wisp of a young lady, with an innocent beauty- much like an olive-skinned Audrey Hepburn. She has no idea of the beauty she holds.

How I met her is rather a long story. Another one of those situations you would normally find in a movie, rather unbelievable.

My youngest son Kyle, is living in Memphis- pursuing a career as a blues musician.  He is making his way to being discovered - he is that talented, and yet he doesn't believe it. He moved in January of this year, with his older brother and best friend, from Wisconsin to Memphis. A first for all of them...leaving home.

It has been quite the adventure. One, many have commented to him and me about being risky. What people do not understand is if he didn't take this risk he would have been kicking himself in the rear-end the rest of his life, I knew that. I have supported him 100 percent, much like any parent would if their child's dream was to be a doctor or an attorney. My son was born to be a musician. He has chosen a hard path and is willing to fight for his dreams.  I see it no different than a college kid working towards a dreamed about degree, and working their way through school while they hit the books.

My eldest son, Justin, went with to follow his dreams - to live openly as the person he was born to be and support his little brother in the process. They have each others' back - one stands out in front and the other is waiting there, ready to catch his brother if he stumbles.
Gabe (best friend), Justin, and Kyle


I am a very proud mother but, yes, I do worry. There's a lot of pressure on Kyle - the life he has chosen is in the public eye. He is now his own brand. With that comes marketing, promotions, and critics. Imagine trying to stay creative with all eyes watching, some waiting to say "I told you so."

Since the move, there have been some life hurdles that needed to be jumped. Including, Kyle, finding himself single for the first time since he was 16 years-old.

It was two months after him newly entering the life as a young single male when Becca entered our lives.  Justin and I had been extremely worried about him - Kyle is a perfectionist and he had a lot to deal with...the music..the dream..and now being single. When perfectionists are stressed, they shut down and dive into a rut. I should know, he gets it from me.

And that is when Becca entered our lives.

Earlier in the summer, Becca left France for an American adventure.  It was an adventure she conquered on her own. She left her home in France and traveled to America to complete a project for school. A journey that took her down the Mississippi River and the music cities that sit along the banks of that water highway.  She was looking to tell the stories of jazz and blues musicians and about the music they love.

Towards the end of her adventure, she landed in Memphis, on Beale Street, where Kyle, Justin, and Gabe (the best friend) work to keep a roof over their heads. A friend of Becca told her to look Kyle up at A. Schwab's, the store he works at - and so she did. She wanted to interview him for her project.
They had a connection.

My son phoned me up that night and told me all about it. I was excited for him and almost could not believe the story. He told me she would be heading off to Nashville and then New Orleans before heading back to France.

I was impressed and could not wait to see the completed project, my son would be in it!

I didn't think much more of it until a few days later when Kyle phoned me to inform me that when he came home to visit that weekend, Becca would be with him.

Yes, the mother in me was a bit concerned - but I know he needed to make these decisions for himself.

I worried about their car ride up and not to mention, I was SUPER curious about this young lady.

I have to admit that when I met her, I immediately knew why my son was drawn to her. Yes, she is beautiful but it was her spirit. The way she absorbed surroundings. Innocent, yet worldly. She wanted to learn about people - especially people who were different than her. She did so very lovingly.

"Love" was a word that came out her mouth many times over. She wanted to understand why people do not love those who were different. She was eager to learn about traditions, and even different religions. She grew up in a very Christian home but wanted to explore other faiths and the people who held them dear.

Becca interviewing
Wisconsin State Rep. Ed. Brooks
I sat back watching her take in Juneau County, Wisconsin. Interviewing local politicians, business owners to people of varying faiths.

While Kyle was in town he also played at a gig with some old band members. I watched her take photos - the way she positioned herself to get the right angle, imagining what she was seeing through that lens.

Becca took this photo of Kyle at a gig here in Wisconsin.
That is when it dawned on me... She was living a dream I once had. To travel and learn about the world outside my door...to document it and share it. It was a dream I had when I was 19. I wanted to pack up my little green '74 Beetle and travel across America, interviewing people from all the different cultures we have in this great melting pot. Dispell the stereotypes and share the common bonds. Proving we're all more alike than different. I had it all mapped out but I never had a chance to see that dream through- Life happened, and I played it safe, so I thought back then.

Kyle and Becca were only in town for a couple of days, but the time we spent together was life altering for me - and I truly believe it was for them as well. Becca entering our lives when she did, sparked my son back up and out of that rut...and she reignited some old passions of mine.

I am grateful Becca came along when she did.

Justin back in the day when he started self-advocating and standing
up for the rights of children with disabilities. 
Right now the spotlight is on Kyle - and he has our entire family on this ride with him. It is how we do things around here. When the kids were younger,  and when Justin and I fought for the rights of children with disabilities, it was Kyle who took the backseat, on my hip and when he was in diapers. He watched his brother speak to senators and officials at the Department of Education in Washington D.C.  Then it was Justin on the front page of the Des Plaines Herald, Niles Spectator,  and in the Daily Herald. Yes, that happened - a few times.

We've had some amazing adventures together and I am so grateful that even now when my sons are adults,  we're all still in this together - supporting one another. I know that if I ever decide to hop in that car and fulfill that old dream, my boys would cheer me on...

Our family may be small but we are strong -especially when we have each others' backs.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th