Skip to main content

Co-Dependent Cyclones

Growing up in an abusive environment you think you learn how to weather storms, but in all actuality
 what happens is you are swept away into a learned behavioral pattern known as co-dependency. You become dependent on those who are dependent on your people pleasing ways. You lift them up when their self esteem is low and in doing so you become dependent on their need for you to care for them It is a vicious cycle of highs and lows..

It is a struggle that once learned, will last a lifetime, even if you are aware of it and work to break the patterns - you must be careful of slippery slopes. Those slippery slopes appear at weak moments, almost as if they know you will take the plunge.

Much like alcoholics on the road to recovery need to actively work on abstaining from drinking, a co-dependent person must actively work on their boundaries and learning how to say "No." Also know that many who do have addictions are spinning out of control in co-dependent cyclones. They are numbing feelings they don't understand and/or do not want to feel.

It took me a lot of years to learn how to say "No" and there are still times that I will fall back into old behavior patterns - it is most likely one of the hardest lessons to learn because it goes hand in hand with liking/loving that reflection in the mirror.

It is no wonder why so many professionals working in social services, or volunteers building up communities are survivors of abuse. It is also no wonder why the burnout rate for such positions are extremely high after just a few years.

I know this because I have plunged down a few slippery slopes along the way to my road of healing. I've allowed boundaries to be crossed while putting my own self last, and I have said yes a few too many times when I should have said no. I was blind to red flags and I am sure there will be times in the future when I will again.  I'm human, and if you are reading this and identifying with any of this, forgive yourself, you are human too. Admitting and embracing flaws is the first step to liking yourself and finding confidence within rather than relying on others to build it up.

You can still be a kind, and compassionate person without getting lost in someone else's problems,  issues and low self esteem. You can still be there for others in time of need, but first you must take care of your own needs-  It is possible - and those boundaries are your safety net from slippery slopes.

It takes practice, self forgiveness and patience - Rome was not built in a day, and your life will be a constant path towards growth if you're willing to learn from your experiences.



If you are a survivor working towards bettering your community while using your life experience and/or working towards change in laws - please contact #WhenIBecameFree - The Heartland Project at chewedupspatout@gmail.com  and visit the website at #WhenIBecameFree-The Heartland Project

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th