Skip to main content

#WhenIBecameFree I stopped blindly harming myself

The journey I am on with the #WhenIBecameFree- The Heartland Project  is bringing back some memories that have always been a part of me, but I never gave them the respect they deserved as a sign of how far I have come on my road to healing.

Tonight I was wandering various websites as I did what I usually do when the house is quite and I have my space, OCD research. I have this part of me that takes over where I must know everything about any given topic at the time I am working on something. I am a research hound. Have been since I was a child. Who knows maybe it was that desire - that obsessive drive - in the pursuit of making sense out of the world around me, that actually saved me from walking down dark paths of no return.

As I was sitting here listening to music of my teen years while searching out some data, a thought entered my head - "I no longer scratch my arm." Why that thought came through is beyond me, but I found myself looking down at my forearm, and before I knew it I was scratching it like I did when I was a teenager. The memory flood gates opened.


There was a time in my life when stress and anxiety brought about that action  - scratching my arm. It was a reflex to the pressure I was feeling around me. I would do it without thought, just nonchalantly start scratching my right forearm...over and over and over.

As the memories of that action played out in my head, and as I went through the motions of physically reminding myself what that felt like, I realized the last time I did it I was maybe around 20 years old and it was around the time I put myself willingly into counseling to address my childhood aches.

That first attempt of trying to get counseling on my own was a bit of a farce. The walls around my soul were so high and thick that I learned more about my counselor and her issues than she ever did about mine. When our sessions were through I am positive she left them feeling better about herself.

Now I realize that while I may not have allowed her in, past my walls, just making that attempt to help myself actually worked. I say that because just tonight's escapade of reliving that memory of scratching my right forearm reminded me that I haven't felt that sensation since then, all those decades ago. Yes, I am getting up there because when I say all those decades ago we're talking just about three of them. It was almost 30 years ago when I made my first step on to the path of healing.

It is a good thing that I was a fingernail bitter (which I also no longer do) because I can remember how welted and red streaked my arm would look from repeatedly scratching it with my barely there nails.

Self Harm - that is the term scratching falls under, as  does cutting, picking at skin, pulling out hair and burning.

According to RAINN "deliberate self-harm, also called self-injury, is when people inflict physical harm on themselves, usually in private and without suicidal intentions. Some survivors of sexual assault may use self-harm to cope with difficult or painful feelings. Self-harm isn’t necessarily a warning sign for suicide, but it can be a sign that someone has survived a serious trauma. You might be trying to numb the pain, feel a release, or regain a sense of control. Unfortunately, this relief is often short-lived, and the urge to self-harm can return, encouraging a cycle of self-harm that may cause damage, infection, and sometimes life-threatening medical problems."

We hear about young girls cutting themselves and we assume that it is a new trend, but it is not, we are just newly aware to what cutting is and all the whys around it. Cutting and any form of self harm is a symptom of someone who has been traumatized and it has been happening since the dawn of time.

So to anyone reading this and identifying with it, know that your self harming ways are nothing to be ashamed of, if anything they are a sign that you need to release shame that was never yours to hold on to in the first place. You need to make the attempt to let it go - just take that first step out on the road to healing - believe in yourself you are worthy, believe you are not alone and most importantly what you're experiencing is normal for someone who has walked through an emotional war zone.

Visit RAINN's website to look for a counselor near you

As for me, I am thankful that I had that memory come to the foreground of my mind. It was a sign that I needed to respect my journey and just how far I've come from the dark days of my youth...all those decades ago.  A reminder of the survivor in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget

Daniel A. Woolverton The picture above is of a West Point graduate (Class of 1997) who went on to have a military career that most men at one time were little boys dreaming about as they played with their G.I. Joe's and Army Men. A sweet face, I am sure as a mother, his own mother worried about his safety every waking moment while he was enlisted.   This is him - that same once good looking - waiting to to take on the world, young man. Life has taken a toll, that is obvious - at first glance you might think that the horrors his eyes seen as a former JAG officer eventually led him down the path of self medication and drug abuse. His soul appears to be lost behind those eyes - Truth is, after reading and taking what I have learned since receiving an email today to his story- He never had a soul - at least one with a conscience to begin with.  The headline in the email asking to me to consider telling this story on this blog read: NEWS:  Disbarred US Arm