Skip to main content

My Boys Are My Greatest Accomplishment - #WhenIBecameFree

Victims stay in toxic relationships out of fear. Fear they wont be able to make it in the world on their own. Fear of what others may say about them, to their face and behind their backs. Fear that they will not be able to provide for their children, and give them a stable home. Fear that they will not be enough. Fear they will not know their role as one, rather than a half of a couple. Fear.
My boys and I - 2006

I had all of those fears and quite possibly a few more, but the greatest fear for me was somehow I
would fail my boys, my two sons. When I first made the attempt to leave a marriage spinning out of control my eldest son was 12 years old and my youngest was just 7 years, soon to turn 8. I literally had no money, no job. I did, thankfully, have a roof - but the worry on how I would keep it over our heads was overwhelming.

I faltered a bit because the weight of the world was too much for me at the time to handle. I let my husband back on promises he would remain sober, and go to counseling. That didn't last long and before I knew it, again I made the attempt to break free.

That time, on top of the situation I had before, I didn't even have a car I could drive - it was broke down in my driveway.

With both my parents deceased and too proud to ask for help from anyone else I did whatever I could to make it. I told my children we were on a "Great Adventure" and if we worked as a team we would see it all through.

Justin
Now all these years later I can look back at this adventure of ours with open eyes and see just how much we survived. I thank God every day for the children he granted to me. They are so strong in their own ways. Such unique beings who stood by their mother through thick and thin, including all my crazy antics.
Justin, my oldest son, is a gentle soul. Always has been, always will be. Don't let his gentle ways fool you, he is also a mountain of strength and courage. Born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his tiny neck, Justin came into this world fighting to live. Having mild cerebral palsy did not stop him. Nor did dealing with epilepsy and a childhood spent at the neurologist office and taking medication.

Justin
As a mother your heart breaks to see your children have to tackle hurdles you wish you could erase. I felt that way many times as Justin grew up dealing with ignorance from others, judgement from those who didn't understand him, and to even watching him work through his own frustrations. I wonder what life would have been like for him had he not had those hurdles to tackle. Would he of come out of closet so proud and loud like he did last year when he announced he was gay? Not an easy thing to do in small town rural Wisconsin. I am so proud of his ways, and inner strength. I am so very proud of him.

Kyle
Now, as for Kyle...well, he has always been the child to keep me on my toes, quite literally. His mind has always been creating new ideas - and I swear that has been since the day he was born. That creative mind came into good use when his world crashed down around him - it was his safety net to express himself. He did so first in art, a skill he is quite gifted in.... then, one day, his focus changed to music and before I knew it he was playing any instrument he could get his hands on - but it was when he took to the guitar that I think his emotions came out the most. The boy is a natural blues guitarist and many have taken notice at his talent.

Kyle
Both my children have special gifts, but the love and support they give to me and each other has kept our little team moving on and forward. Now I get to watch them as young men show the world just how special they are. Justin the hard working employee who has always impressed employers with his dedication to whatever job he was doing, and Kyle, the old soul that he is, bringing back a style that many have thought was forgotten.

In an existence and society where so much could have gone wrong and no one would have batted an eye, my boys thrived.

Our team is coming to a new chapter, and soon. They now are creating their own lives and working towards their own destinies - soon I will be entering my own new chapter - We don't know what the future holds, but I do know as long as the three of us remember the past decade of our Great Adventure, we will be able to survive anything life throws at us.

You can follow Kyle's rising career on Facebook, Twitter, or his website



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget

Daniel A. Woolverton The picture above is of a West Point graduate (Class of 1997) who went on to have a military career that most men at one time were little boys dreaming about as they played with their G.I. Joe's and Army Men. A sweet face, I am sure as a mother, his own mother worried about his safety every waking moment while he was enlisted.   This is him - that same once good looking - waiting to to take on the world, young man. Life has taken a toll, that is obvious - at first glance you might think that the horrors his eyes seen as a former JAG officer eventually led him down the path of self medication and drug abuse. His soul appears to be lost behind those eyes - Truth is, after reading and taking what I have learned since receiving an email today to his story- He never had a soul - at least one with a conscience to begin with.  The headline in the email asking to me to consider telling this story on this blog read: NEWS:  Disbarred US Arm