Boy Creates You Tube Video to Find Dad Work

So this morning I am sitting here, sipping my coffee - (thankful for the food stamps we receive that provides me that morning jolt) -

I am watching the news on MSNBC- (wondering how much longer I will be able to before electricity and cable gets shut off)

My mind is going a mile a minute - (spinning thoughts on how the HELL am I going to pull off the next few weeks without any employment coming my way - income to household the past couple of weeks = $0.00)

The news is depressing - ( I try not to listen too actively - just can't take all the sorrow this morning)

It was about then that a story came on about a young man, Ben Gullett, (14 yrs old) who lives in Florida. The boy is getting national attention because he created a You Tube video in an effort to help his recently laid off father, a marketing executive, find a job. At first watching this I choke up a bit - it's sweet to hear a story about a child helping a parent during tough times.

Then I see the video - the music is a solemn piece - the video is in B&W (nice touch) - and as I am watching I find myself getting cynical. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...."nice house" - "WOW, dad has a Stanley Cup ring? I wonder how much I could get on Ebay for it?" - "hmm, sweet kid - hey, is that a smirk I see??...who is holding the camera? ...."oh, right, Dad is a MARKETING EXECUTIVE!!"

Yeah, one cue card in the video says that dad is "creative", and that I think I can agree with!

Has life made me this cynical....this untrusting...this bitter....that I start wondering if Dad had more input in the creation of this video than being reported??? Who really did come up with this idea? The private Catholic school student/son of the executive, or the executive????

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then it HITS me...it's that word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That "E" word that is making my stomach turn - E-X-E-C-U-T-I-V-E!!!!!! To me, hearing it is the equivalent of a republican hearing the acronym ACLU!!!

I tell myself it's ok....he is not a banking executive - he was the marketing director for the Tampa Bay Lightning, an NHL team. BUT STILL...it's that "E" word.

FOCUS EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to figuring out how I am going to pull off the next few weeks!

There's not much call for an independent advocate/activist organizer out here in Twin Peaks meets Walton's Mountain. Actually, there's not much here for anyone - a visit to our local food pantry is all a person would need to see how bad things are. Even in good times, this county I live in was identified as a poor county where 50 percent of students come from families living at or below the poverty line.

I try to remove the self pity that is starting to build in me as the stress of my own situation builds....

I tune back to the news..........

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're talking about AIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a mountain to scream from QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget