Skip to main content

Kyle's Art - I Knew I Was Patient For a Reason


This is my youngest son, Kyle, and next to him is a recent art piece he has created. Now, let me tell you about Kyle. Oh...there are soooooo many adjectives to describe this unique young man, just ask his older brother Justin.

As a mother I have been blessed with two remarkable sons. Not only do they keep me going each and everyday, but I am in constant amazement on how much they teach me.

Both of my children have talents...I love them both dearly, and they know it. My eldest son, Justin, I will be talking, and blogging about in the near future....his life has already had a positive impact on our society, and other children....believe me there will be stories to tell you...but for now this one is about Kyle.

Kyle was a child that did everything in life early. And I mean EVERYTHING! He did so on little to no sleep .....with me, a walking Zombie....following closely behind and praying that no one got hurt.

It was within weeks of him being born into this world that I knew he would one day he would be more than an average kid. Kyle went with me everywhere, and when he was a baby we had many places to go including advocating for special needs children like his older brother Justin.

On my hip, Kyle, went on protests in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Washington DC...he sat in Senator's offices sucking on his bottle....attended many school meetings for other children while I advocated on their behalf.....and most importantly always kept me on my toes.

Where ever we were, whatever situation it was, Kyle always managed to garner all the attention. It wasn't the mere fact he was (is) an adorable child, but people were amazed by his abilities. An early talker he could talk in full sentences when he was just 12 months old, but what was really remarkable was from the time he could hold a crayon he would spend hours upon hours drawing, and had the intensity of the best tempermental artists. Sitting in meetings, and noticing the reactions of others, I would often comment how I called Kyle, "my little copy machine." It was nothing for him to draw picture after picture with details that I still can't do, and he was the young age of 2.

Like most artists, Kyle, has some unique tastes. This child listens to Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, classical music, and classic rock. He has a love for antiques, and has since he was very young. He is an old soul in a young man's frame.

Now, along with all of that Kyle is my risk taker. I never know what he is going to do next. There's no doubt this kid walks the path of his own drum, and doesn't give a damn about what other's think . Even when I am upset with him, I have to appreciate this quality in him - needless to say I don't stay mad long.

When our lives at home took a nasty turn a few years ago, and my children woke up in a house filled with chaos and domestic violence, Kyle, used his artistic ability to purge his emotions. He often wouldn't let others see his work, and there were even sometimes at school in art class he would pretend he wasn't as good as he was. He reasoning for this was he didn't want to hurt the other kid's feelings (yes, like most artists, Kyle is very sensitive to his surroundings.)

Kyle has always wanted to be an artist. This is what he wants to do with his life, and I have no doubt that this child will succeed - you should see some of the tin foil sculptures I've come home to....and how many times I've been frustrated that he used the entire roll!

Now maybe you think this is just a proud mom talking about her son - and you would be right, I am proud. However, I truly feel like one day this little man of mine will become that much sought out artist - just look at what he can do at the young age of 10 - Remember his name...keep an eye out for it in the future, and you will remember where you heard it first!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget

Daniel A. Woolverton The picture above is of a West Point graduate (Class of 1997) who went on to have a military career that most men at one time were little boys dreaming about as they played with their G.I. Joe's and Army Men. A sweet face, I am sure as a mother, his own mother worried about his safety every waking moment while he was enlisted.   This is him - that same once good looking - waiting to to take on the world, young man. Life has taken a toll, that is obvious - at first glance you might think that the horrors his eyes seen as a former JAG officer eventually led him down the path of self medication and drug abuse. His soul appears to be lost behind those eyes - Truth is, after reading and taking what I have learned since receiving an email today to his story- He never had a soul - at least one with a conscience to begin with.  The headline in the email asking to me to consider telling this story on this blog read: NEWS:  Disbarred US Arm