Skip to main content

Enforcing Boundaries

Yesterday I wrote about how my ex (abuser) violated court orders, and contacted me from prison...yet again. Well I did the right thing and notified his probation and parole agent and informed her of the violation. I love the age of technology because I could do so in an email, and not have to worry about how nervous...scared...or upset I sounded over the phone.

She handled the situation swiftly..responded to me within an hour, and contacted his social worker at the prison to enforce a warning that should he decide to violate the terms of the conditions set forth, he would suffer consequences. In addition to that she forwarded to me all the communication between her and the social worker. I found that to be very considerate on her part, as I am sure she could tell that while I may seem "in control" , inside I was shivering with the residual fear all those memories of the assault bring on.

It's not easy to involve the police when you're in an abusive relationship...usually in the beginning there are slaps on the wrist for the offenders, and misdemeanors issued. Those slaps can end up being escalated violence on the home front as now the abuser has something to really be angry about. Then if you don't involve the police it turns out to be an open invitation to the abuser to keep it coming because there is nothing to fear.

Victims who have been battered and worn are forced to make these life altering decisions. Remember that when you ask why they stay...why they don't do anything about it...and then remember that battered and worn woman has had the definition of love shattered and all she wants to do is put the pieces back together to feel the warmth of it once again. Some victims turn to drugs and alcohol to numb the chill of a life without true healing love....and others just shut down so that the blows just dent the armor around their soul....and then they forget how to live, they just exist.

Yesterday I was disappointed with myself. I got mad that I allowed a simple letter from Tim to shake me to the core...so much so that nightmares once again invaded my restless sleep. I was disappointed that once again I worried about what will happen in 2015 when he is released. Will he hunt me down? His life in all essence will be ruined. He will be 48 years old, and a felon. He will have to register as a sex offender where ever he decides to live. He will be on supervision for another 6 years. How will he live with all that following him?? What anger will he walk out with?? Will his new group of friends consist of released felons? Will he walk out with the mental health treatment he needs under his belt, or will he walk out worse than he went in? I've been his target ...his focus...for so long...he went in wanting to control me..own me..and if he couldn't he wanted to kill me....what will be his focus when he walks out?

I already know rules...court orders...mean nothing to him. When he assaulted me last time he was already on probation....and the letters are being sent with him knowing that they are a violation...

These are real questions...real fears of mine. The fears haven't stopped me from moving forward, but they are on my mind...in my mind...always somewhere waiting to remembered they are there. Those nightmares I had reminded me that they are there. I hate those nightmares. I hate waking from them, sweating...shaking...crying...and on the bed where they were first imbedded into my soul...the bed where he last touched me...assaulted me, and then waking from them in an empty dark room....alone. No comfort readily available....so their horror lingers.

So yes, yesterday I beat myself up for allowing it all to flood back. I tell myself not to think about it, but at the same time as an advocate I know I must prepare for it. I question if I should bring anyone into my life because I know it's a lot for someone to take in and I wonder by doing so will I be endangering their safety. I am not the typical divorced mom with two kids...I have all that waiting off in the future..the unknown of what will happen when he is released.

How does a person handle all of this? Yes, I know I must just live for now...today...but still how do I also prepare for the future, and keep myself safe? I am a very open, and public person. I live a public life...from the work that I do to the volunteering I love. For me to hide - isolate myself, will be a torture all of it's own - I would be denying myself the joys in my life....

Six years is not a long time, the last two have flown by ..and before I know it 2015 will be here and that shadow of darkness will be on my mind...looming...how does one prepare and is it fair to invite someone else into it...to take part in it...to have them worry...........................?

Comments

Just Be Real said…
Eva Marie, I know it is very hard to deal with the crap you have gone through and then to have reoccurring nightmares and "testing" come up....is not fun! I am so sorry for your pain and the 'unknown' fear that looms over you when he is released. I can say, I am sitting here with you dear one, as you process and hopefully in time things may be easier on you down the line with the fear.

(((safe hugs)))
sitting and listening
Eva Marie said…
Thank you ...

It helps to put all these thoughts and emotions out there rather than sitting here and letting them churn in me...I know whatever is meant to happen will ..

I just hope that by telling my story one day someone will walk away feeling less alone in theirs...that in itself is healing for me.

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Propane - Shame on you Inergy!

I know this isn't a typical post for me, but I guess with me not much is typical. The last couple of weeks I've been spending a lot of time researching and learning about propane. Propane is something I never really thought about before because I never really used it - except, maybe, once in a great while for the gas grill rusting in my backyard. However, as I said, it's now a topic I have been spending my nights researching on the Net. The reason for this is because of a phone call I received a couple of weeks ago - the person on the other end of the phone told me that a company here in my area was about to charge $3.14 a gallon for propane, while all the others were running around $1.80 for a gallon. They explained that many people don't realize what was happening, and just how wrong they thought it all was. That call came in on a Tuesday morning, the week between Christmas and New Year's....a typically very slow news week, and one where at the paper (The Mes