It never fails..............

So I plan this huge yard sale..this Pay it Forward sale. A good thing, right? Why is it then situations like last night never fail? Yesterday evening I sat in my fully loaded down, three season porch, pricing items and folding all the clothing ...separating them as best as possible into pile; women's, men's, boy's and girl's.

Three hours later I emerge from the porch making mental notes of all the little things I will need to do first thing in the morning....signs, run and get change before I open the sale..and damn...what the hell am I going to put everything on? I decided that I would just force my vampire self into waking up extra early to ensure I don't feel rushed....I even made sure I didn't have my evening coffee so that I could try to get asleep at a decent time...

Well a decent time to bed didn't happen. I don't even know why I expected it to. At midnight I was calling that good friend of mine in Oregon for our regular almost daily conversation...and that is when it happened, yup, during that call is when my UP ALL NIGHT situation occurred! THE POWER WENT OUT!


The conversation in my head:

"Damn!!!!!! I can't risk sleeping now....I can't set my alarm clock. I know me, I will sleep til noon if I don't have something irritating me awake! What the hell am I going to do? Hmmm, I could open my bedroom curtain and hope that I stay facing out my bedroom window so that bright dawn's sun wakes me up? Nah...I'll just cuss it out and roll over....DAMN!!!!!!!!!"

I decided I would just "program" my mind into knowing when to wake up - "I will wake up on time, I will wake up on time..etc...etc" is what I told myself in the pitch black as I tried to fall asleep.

Just as I was falling asleep......................

"Mom!!! MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT'S GOING ON!!!! MOM??????????????????????????????!!!!!!!"

It was Justin. My teenager who has OCD (among some other things) and situations like a power outage can trigger his spinning despair. I often tell people to think of the television show Monk when I explain Justin to them.

"This is my nightmare! Next will be spiders coming at me everywhere! MOM!!! MOM!!! MOM!! Why is this happening??? MOM!!!!!!!"

Needless to say the next few hours were spent trying to calm him down, and convincing him it's not the end of the world and the lights will come back on. "They better come back on. Why is this happening? This is my nightmare! It never fails..." played over and over in my own head.

A few hours later those lights did come back on, and I managed to get Justin back to sleep. I set my alarm clock realizing that I would still get 2 1/2 hours of sleep..."a nap is better than nothing"... I tried convincing myself as I fell to sleep.

Needless to say I must have hit the snooze button one too many times...and now here I am procrastinating as I sip my morning coffee and writing this all out.....

"It's ok...I can do this all in an one and half hours: shower...dress..set-up...put up signs...get change...yup, it never fails"

Comments

Eva Marie said…
oh..and of course every time I read this I see something else that needs to be edited...I am just going to walk away, and hope that you get the idea.......it never fails

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

Daniel A. Woolverton - A Rapist you will and SHOULD not forget