Skip to main content

My Pride

The birthday boy and his new bike...


My baby, Kyle, turns 11 today. Justin will be 16 in August. It's so damn hard to believe that in a blink of an eye my boys will be men. I am an extremely lucky Mom, and I mean that in all sincerity. My boys keep me going. Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't for them if I would have found the strength the last few years to push on.

We're a tight knit unit - the boys and I; extremely close. Even last summer when I was working nutty hours and two jobs we still managed to sit down at the table at least once a day and eat together....our social time. We talk about everything under the sun from their day...my day...their friends...my friends...to current events. No topic is off limits. However there are times when I feel my eyebrows raising as I clear my throat trying to find a way to answer an uncomfortable question.

People often ask me why I don't hate their father for all he has done in the last few years....the scars he has left in all our memories. Justin even will ask me why I don't despise the man especially since he cannot stand to hear his father's name mentioned. I tell Justin that he is entitled to his feelings, and I would never tell him not to feel how he does...that's something he will need to work out when he is ready. Then I tell him to respect mine because every time I look into his or his brother's eyes I am reminded of the gift my marriage to his father did bring me...them...two wonderful children...the reason my heart beats.

I better quit writing now, this post has the potential to turn into one of those Hallmark moments and I will be crying in a matter of moments ....Damn! I avoid those Hallmark Hall of Fame movies for this very reason! {sniffle sniffle} You should have seen me the first day they started school; a friggin basket case!

Well time to go make Kyle's favorite cake; a Black Forest Cake...but before I go, a trip down memory lane....anyone got a tissue?






OMG!! When did he grow up?


Cute little bald thing Justin was!

Yup, a cutie!



See that twinkle? It keeps me on my toes!



Awww...Justin's Baptism...sweet



Kyle and the llama...one of my favorite pictures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History Shrouded in Mold - Part 1

  Sipping my morning coffee I sit on my bed looking out almost century old windows and into the backyards of my neighbors. This morning was no different. The sky is grey and there is a slight chill in the air, reminding me that outside that glass is another world filled with life and adventure, stories to tell and lessons to be learned...knowledge to be gained. In other words, hope.  That sentiment brings back the emotions I felt as a little girl. Then, I sat on my bed looking out the massive Victorian era windows of the 3rd floor apartment we called home. It was in the mid 70s -Evanston, Illinois. I loved being able to see into the green of the trees that lined our street. Between the leaves and branches was another world playing out before my eyes. The birds, the squirrels and sometimes even a stray cat - they lived out a day in their life without ever knowing they had an audience taking in their story.  I would spend a lot of time watching them and getting to know their personalit

A Pay it Forward Christmas...

The Christmas Clues came all month long.....a month filled with constant motion ..chaos...stress...and deep inside me the usual holiday dread. Those clues helped to divert my attention away from the emptiness that has been in me for the last few years.... Those memories of a large family coming together where I was the hostess for all the holiday feasts....the memories that usually remind me of the last few years and how much the boys and I have lost when domestic violence entered our home...and what destruction it left in it's wake. Yes, the clues had me looking forward to time that in the last three years or so I would wish I could close my eyes around mid-November and wake up on Jan 1st - yes, me...the one time overly merry hostess had turned bitter towards the holidays. This is the first year in a very long time that I have actually looked forward to Christmas.... That Secret Santa...and those elves....must have known that I was dreading another Christmas...another holiday in

Healing Hearts an outloud journal post.

https://pixabay.com/users/artsybee-462611/ Healing hearts, or I should say the desire to, comes with admitting one’s own wounds which are in need of repairs. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks appearing to be quiet but really I was just doing some internal work while my body adjusted to a switch in medication to combat autoimmune flares. A few years ago I would have tried to push through such a thing and not allow my body, and even my mind, a chance to go through what it needs, I would have pretended I felt fine when I didn’t, thinking that made me strong. In reality such behavior made me weaker and landed me where I am today. Anyway, that lull allowed me to do quite a bit of thinking, planning and decision making. Right now the money raised for the Healing Hearts kickoff campaign is sitting in Go Fund Me — no withdraws made as I am waiting to hear back from an organization and person I trust to take those funds and get them where they need to be, to address crisis intervention for th